Chapter 20

Shubman's tranquil slumber was abruptly shattered by the insistent ring of his phone. He fumbled for it, squinting at the screen through half-closed eyes. "Hello?" he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

On the other end, Anvi's voice floated through the line, soft and familiar. "Sleeping?" she asked, concern lacing her words.

Shubman rubbed his eyes, trying to shake off the grogginess. "What time is it?" he inquired, his mind still foggy.

Anvi's reply was gentle. "Maybe 4 am there," she said. "How are you?"

Shubman swung his legs over the edge of the bed, the cool floor jolting him awake. "Hmm," he murmured. "Tell me. How are you?"

Anvi's laughter tinkled over the phone. "I'm fine," she said. "And you? All settled in?"

Shubman's heart warmed at the thought of his newfound camaraderie with Hardik, treating him like a younger brother. "Yeah," he replied. "Hardik bhai has been amazing. It's so wholesome."

Anvi's affectionate tone made him smile. "You deserve it, baby," she said. "But I miss you terribly."

His throat tightened. "I miss you too," Shubman confessed. "I just want to complete the match and come back. I want to spend all my time with you." 

Anvi's promise was unwavering. "Of course," she said. "And I'll be cheering you on from home."

Shubman hesitated, then blurted out his request. "Baby, can you do me a favor?"

Anvi's curiosity piqued. "Just name it," she said.

He took a deep breath. "Check on ma, papa, and di," Shubman said. "I'll ask Abhi, but I know they won't tell me if anything happens."

Anvi's reassurance was immediate. "Of course, I will," she promised.

Shubman shifted the conversation. "So, how was college?" he asked.

Anvi's sigh was audible. "As usual, boring," she replied.

He chuckled. "Then why did you choose it?" he teased.

Anvi's voice turned serious. "Because I didn't want Physics, Chemistry, and Maths," she said.

Shubman's protective instincts kicked in. "Now study," he instructed. "I know you have an internal test tomorrow."

Anvi's mock exasperation was endearing. "Okay, fine," she conceded. "Practice well."

"Thanks," he said, warmth flooding his chest. He disconnected the call and glanced up, only to freeze. Hardik stood there, leaning on his elbows, a knowing smile on his face.

"Who was it?" Hardik asked, raising an eyebrow.

Shubman stammered. "N-no one."

Hardik's grin widened. "Don't lie," he said. "I heard everything."

Shubman's cheeks flushed. "She's my girlfriend," he admitted.

Hardik's curiosity was piqued. "What's her name?"

"Anvi Jadhav," Shubman replied.

Hardik's approval was swift. "Nice name, bro."

Shubman retreated to the bathroom, his heart still racing. He changed into his practice jersey and headed downstairs.

Virat Kohli, the cricketing legend, greeted him. "Wow! You're up early. Where's Harry?"

Shubman nodded toward the staircase. "He's coming down, bhai."

The cricket gear felt familiar in his hands. Shubman checked everything meticulously, nerves and excitement swirling within him.

The entire team assembled on the field, the sun casting long shadows. Shubman stepped up to the crease, bat in hand. Virat's voice cut through the air. "Nice shots, Shub."