Chapter 4

The morning of Shubman's departure was a mosaic of emotions, the air thick with the anticipation of farewells and new beginnings. As he zipped up his bags, each item neatly packed away, he felt the familiar tug of home pulling at his heartstrings. Descending the stairs, he approached his parents, their feet a symbol of respect and love, grounding him in his roots.

Anvi's eyes, usually so full of laughter and mischief, were clouded with the sheen of tears. Shubman's arms enveloped her in a comforting hug, her head resting against the steady beat of his heart. "Hey, why are there tears in your life?" he asked, his voice a soft murmur against her hair.

"You will be away from us for almost 4-5 months, Maan," Anvi whispered, the nickname slipping out, a testament to their deep bond. Shubman's smile was tender, a promise in the curve of his lips. "I will call you or message you every day, okay? Now wipe your tears and smile."

Anvi's smile, though wobbly, was a brave front. "Call me every day, okay?" she implored, seeking reassurance in his nod.

The arrival of Abhishek, a fellow cricketer and friend, signaled it was time to leave. "Hello uncle," he greeted Lakwinder, who welcomed him with open arms. Maanya, caught in the crossfire of first impressions, found herself smitten by Abhishek's charm, a sentiment mirrored in his gaze.

"No uncle, we are getting late. Shub, shall we leave?" Abhishek's voice broke the spell, urgency lacing his words. Shubman, with a final round of hugs and whispered promises, stepped through the threshold, the airport beckoning them forward.

Seated on the plane, Shubman's thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of a man and his daughter. The man's identity, Shah Rukh Khan, was unbeknownst to Shubman, who greeted him with a polite smile. Suhana's incredulity at her father's lack of recognition was met with patience.

"What is your name?" SRK inquired, his voice carrying the weight of curiosity. "My name is Shubman Gill," came the reply, simple and unassuming. The conversation that followed revealed their shared connection to KKR, though Shubman's admission of not being a movie buff was met with a nod of understanding from the Bollywood icon.

Suhana's frown was a silent protest to being ignored, a rarity for her. Yet, as the flight touched down, Shubman's parting words to SRK were respectful and genuine.

The camaraderie among teammates was palpable as Shubman reunited with them. Dinesh Karthik's warm welcome and Andre Russel's friendly greeting were a balm to the nerves of travel. Gautham Gambhir's instructions offered a day of rest before the grueling practice sessions began.

In the privacy of his room, Shubman's attempts to reach Anvi were met with silence, prompting a call to Keart instead. The ensuing text conversation with Anvi was a thread connecting him to home.

 The ensuing text conversation with Anvi was a thread connecting him to home

Anvi: I am at college. Do want
             something?
                                                                              Shubman: No, just called to tell
                                                                                                       that I
                                                                                                       reached.
Anvi: How was your flight?
                                                                               Shubman: It was okay. I
                                                                                                        actually
                                                                                                        met someone.
Anvi: Who?
                                                                                Shubman: Don't freak out.
Anvi: Now just tell me who
             it is.
                                                                                   Shubman: I met SRK
Anvi: What? SRK?                                                                         
                                                                                    Shubman: Yeah, even
                                                                                                              his daughter.
Avni: Was she beautiful?
                                                                                    Shubman: No! 
Anvi: 😅😅
                                                                                   Shubman: Chal bye.
                                                                                                           Need to go.