Chapter 4

Previously on Chapter 3

"No... don't hurt her" I said, struggling to keep awake. My arms feel jelly. Eventually I fall back on the ground, lying on my stomach. My eyes slowly drifted shut. My surrounding went dark.

-Journey To Mt. Sagiri-

Y/N P.O.V

I open my eyes to see Nezuko lying between us. She has a bamboo around her face, covering her mouth. On her other side is Tanjiro. He looks like he just woken up.

"You're awake?" A voice said. I turn my head to see the man leaning against a tree. Tanjiro quickly sits up as he scoops Nezuko up in his arms. "Head to Mt. Sagiri and look for a man named Urokodaki Sakonji. Tell him that Tomioka Giyuu sent you three. That girl seems to be okay because it's cloudy outside. But never let her get exposed to sunlight" he said. I watch as he vanishes from our sight.

I turn my head to look at Tanjiro. I move to stand up and dust myself to get rid of the snow. "What was that, Y/N? All those moves..." Tanjiro asked. I turn my head to look at him.

"I don't know, Tanjiro. Like I said, that's something I've been wishing to find out" I said, lowering my gaze. He didn't say anything else after that. I let out a sigh and turn to look at him. "Come on, let's get going. We still need to bury the others" I said. He smiles sadly at me. He moves to stand up with Nezuko in his arms. We slowly make our way back to the house.

***

Tanjiro and I kneels down in front of the newly made graves after we buried all of them. I place my hands together as I close my eyes, sending a silent prayer for all of them.

"Thank you... Kie-San. Hanako. Shigeru. Rokuta and Takeo... for welcoming me into your family. As well as treating me like a real family. Never once you treated me like an outsider. Thank you so much for everything" I said. Tears starts to roll down my cheeks. I open my eyes to look at the graves. "Forgive me for not doing a better job at protecting everyone" I said.

I move to stand up as Tanjiro remains kneeling in front of the graves. "I haven't been completely truthful to you about what truly happened to me, right, Tanjiro?" I said. He turned his head to look at me. I turn to look at him, smiling sadly.

"My parents and older sister were all murdered... by a demon" I said. His eyes widen at what I said. I bit my lips as I shut my eyes. My mind drifted back to what happened that day.

"I'm not sure what happened after that. All I see was red" I said. I open my eyes as I turn to look at Tanjiro who stares at me. "The next time I woke up, the demon was already dead. Blood was covering my hands but they weren't mine nor my sister's. It was the demon's blood. Which makes me wonder if I was the one who killed that demon. How I do that... I've no idea" I said, staring at the snowy ground beneath me.

Tanjiro moves to stand up, placing both of his hands on my shoulders. I turn my head to look at him. "I'm sure we'll be able to figure out about that. Along with your weird fighting reflects. Now, let's get going, yeah?" He said. I give him a small smile and nod my head. He turn to look at Nezuko. He gently grab her hand. I grab her other hand as the three of us starts to walk.

Tanjiro turns around to look at the graves one last time. He shut his eyes for a few seconds. "Hey..." I said. He turn his head to look at me. "You're strong, Tanjiro. They would want us to move on with our lives. Just like I did after my family's death. Your family made it easier for me to accept my harsh fate. So now, I'll do the same for you and Nezuko" I said. He sends me a small smile. He close his eyes as he takes a deep breath to calm himself. The three of us turns around and finally begin to run, making our way towards the direction of Mt. Sagiri.

Time-skip

Tanjiro went off somewhere to look for something that will help Nezuko be able to travel even when the sun is up. I watch her as she digs up a hole, and placing herself inside it. She's really scared of the sunlight, huh?

"Hey... it's okay. You're deep enough into the cave. The sunlight won't reach you" I said. I walk towards her as she turn her head to look at me. She let out a hum. I tilt my head slightly. She points at the hole, and points at me. "Oh, you want me to get in there with you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?" I asked. She closes her eyes as she seems to smile at me, nodding her head with a hum. I smile softly and climbs inside the hole. I take a seat next to her.

"Nezuko? Y/N? They're not here!" Tanjiro said. I can hear the panic in his voice. I sit up a little just enough for him to see me.

"We're both here, Tanjiro. Nezuko wants to stay as far away from the sun as possible. So she dug up this hole to hide in... and she wanted me to get in with her. Sorry for scaring you" I said, smiling apologetically at him. He let out a sigh of relief, realizing we're both okay.

"Don't scare me like that again" he said. I just let out a nervous laugh. "Keep her company, okay? I need to do something real quick" he said. I just nod my head at his request.

I turn to look at Nezuko and gently pat her back. "It's okay..." I said, comfortingly. She leans her head on my shoulder, making me smile softly. I wonder what Tanjiro is doing out there.

"Hey, Nezuko" Tanjiro said. I lift my head to look at him. I notice a basket in his hands. "I want to keep on going even when the sun is up. I'll carry you in this, okay?" He said. Nezuko only stared at him. Tanjiro pointed at the basket. "Do you think you can fit in? Here... basket" he said. Nezuko climbs out of the hole. She tries to get inside the basket only for us to realize she didn't fit. "Guess not" he said.

"Wait... earlier you grew like an adult. Do you think you can do the opposite?" I asked. Nezuko turn her head to look at me. I smile and gently pat her back. "Get smaller, Nezuko... get smaller for us" I said. She grabs the end of the basket. She tilts it upright, making Tanjiro and I yell out in surprise. She eventually shrinks into the basket. "Wahh~ so cute!!" I said.

"That's a good girl..." Tanjiro said, gently patting her head. She hums softly and closes her eyes, appreciating her brother's loving gesture.

Tanjiro covers the basket with a sheet of fabric

Tanjiro covers the basket with a sheet of fabric. He straps it on his back. "Let's go, Y/N..." he said. I smile softly and nod my head. The two of us make our way out of the cave, continuing our journey to Mt. Sagiri in search for Urokodaki Sakonji.

*to be continued*