Chapter 18

Previously on Chapter 17

I rush towards her. "You did it, Y/N. You won!" I said. She just stared at me. Her eyes seem to be going in and out of focus. Her body eventually falls forward. I catch her body in my arms before she hits the ground. I stare at her face as she leans her head on my chest. My eyes soften as I stare at her exhausted face. A soft smile start to form on my lips as I stare at her.

You did it, Y/N

-Recovery-

Y/N P.O.V

I slowly open my eyes, quickly realizing I'm back at the Butterfly Estate. I feel warmth on my hand. I slowly turn my head to the side to see the Mist Hashira. He's asleep with his head on the bed, hand holding mine. Tokito-San must've brought me back to the Butterfly Estate.

My mind drifted back to the first mission I went to with him. A bright smile starts to form on my lips. I can't believe I won. I defeated a high level demon. A demon that served right under Kibutsuji Muzan. A Twelve Kizuki.

"Yes!" I accidentally yelled out, which startled Tokito-San to the point he woke up from his sleep. He sprung up as he stared at me with a surprised face. I let out a nervous laugh. "S-Sorry..." I said. He let out a sigh and smiles at me.

"I'm glad to see you're awake" he said, making me smile softly at him. He turned his head, noticing his hand that is holding mine. "Sorry..." he muttered, while removing his hand from mine.

"It's fine... thank you for looking after me while I was out" I said. He just nods his head at what I said. A soft smile is presence on his face. He seems more expressive nowadays.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked. I nod my head lightly. "What drove you to be stronger? I've never seen anyone fought the way you fought that demon. It was so full of... anger and pain" he said.

"When I was a kid... about the age of 7. I watched both of my parents and older sister got brutally murdered by a demon" I said. I close my eyes as I recall the day it happened. I bit my lips as I try my best not to cry.

"The way that Lower Moon demon smirked... it reminds me of the demon that took away the lives of my family" I said. I open my eyes to look at the ceiling. I clench my hands on either side of me. "And I guess something in me snapped and it pushed me to go harder than before. I want nothing but to be stronger. So I can prevent losing more people I care about. To stop myself from being afraid to fight for what's right..." I said.

"You're already so strong, Y/N..." he said. I turn to look at him. He smiles softly at me. "I believe that you will be the hope, that one day we'd be able to end all of these... and eradicate all the demons" he said. I just smiles softly at his words.

***

It took me about a month to fully recover. Today, I can finally leave the Hospital Ward. The first thing I was told to do was report to Oyakata-Sama. The crow must've already informed him what had happened. But he'd want to listen what happened from my mouth.

We're currently inside the room where Oyakata-Sama would hold meeting indoors. I sit down next to Tokito-San and Tomioka-San. Oyakata-Sama isn't here yet. So, we all waited in silence for the leader to arrive.

"So, Tokito informed us that you fought single-handedly against one of the Twelve Kizuki and actually managed to defeat it" someone said, breaking the lingering silence in the room. I turn my head to see it's Tengen-San. The others are also looking at me. I turn my head to look at everyone before focusing my attention on him. I lightly nod my head.

"You're flamboyantly flamboyant! I really wish you're older. I'd have made you my 4th wife! You're going to get along with my wives" he said. I feel a drop of sweat rolling down the side of my head. Again with that? Are 3 wives not enough for him? Goodness.  

The sound of footsteps makes everyone turns their head forward. I do the same as the door in slides open. I just watch quietly as Oyakata-Sama walks in, being guided by his children. He takes a seat in front of us.

"I'm relieved to know we can all still gather here. All 9 of us, including Y/N" he said. His voice sounded soft. It reminds me of my father. I close my eyes momentarily, trying to control my emotions. "Y/N... Muichiro told me what you managed to do. You defeated one of the Twelve Kizuki, and that too, single-handedly. You told Muichiro to only interfere when things got out of hand. That was quite bold of you... and dangerous too. You were being too reckless, Y/N. You could've died in that mission" he said. I flinched at the last sentence he said.

"Sorry, Oyakata-Sama. I've got nothing to say because I was aware of my recklessness. It won't happen again... I promise" I said, lowering my head. I hear a soft chuckle coming from him. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion because his reaction isn't something I expected.

"Why? I'm proud of you despite being reckless. You're not afraid to put yourself aside for the sake others. I can't imagine the fear you must've felt when facing that demon. But you managed to push through, and defeated that demon on your own. You haven't been recruited as a Slayer. Yet you have proven yourself to be a reliable ally for your comrade" he said. A soft smile starts to form on his face.

"You've succeeded in defeating one of the Twelve Moon and even live to tell the tale. I could not ask for a better member for the Corps. With that said, I have something I would like to propose to you..." he said. I tilt my head slightly, wondering what he wants to say.

"Y/N... would you serve the society and the Demon Slayer organization... as one of the Hashira? If you accept this duty, you shall be the 10th Hashira with the title the Ice Hashira" he said. My eyes widen at what he just said.

"H-Hashira? But, I don't have that much experienced. I only went to one mission. Managing to survive was probably just some beginner's luck. Are you sure about this, Oyakata-Sama? About making me a Hashira?" I said.

"Of course. There is no such thing as beginner's luck in this kind of situation. Just an admirable determination. Something we need to ensure the downfall of Kibutsuji Muzan. You are very well needed among us" he said. I turn my head to look at the others. They each wore a proud smile on their faces. Even Shinazugawa-San has a small smile on his face.

"If you believe that to be the right choice... I accept this duty, Oyakata-Sama" I said, placing my hands on the floor as I bow at him. I hear a loud cheer and turn my head to see it's Kanroji-San. Her cheeks turns red when she realize she's the only one cheering. I let out a soft giggle and turn my head to look forward. "Thank you for the chance, Oyakata-Sama" I said.

"Thank you for accepting my proposal, dear Y/N..." he said. I smile brightly at his comment. "That concludes today's meeting. You are dismissed..." he said. We bow one last time before leaving the meeting room one after another.

"Well, this call for a celebration! Come on, everyone!!" Kanroji-San said. She looped an arm through mine and starts pulling me along. I let out a yelp in surprise. I turn my head to look at Tomioka-San who has been like a brother to me. He shakes his head and closes his eyes, smiling softly at me.

Time-Skip

They ended up taking me to a small restaurant. But it looks crowded with locals. That's the one way to tell if the food is good. Kanroji-San leads me to a long empty table fit for all 10 of us.

She starts to order food. I feel a drop of sweat rolling down the side of my head when I realize those are all for her. This girl has a huge appetite. But she managed to remain slim.

"I uh... don't know what to get. I've never come here. Any suggestions, Kanroji-San?" I asked. She gives me a number of suggestions of the most delicious food in this restaurant. My eyes wander through the selections on the menu until they landed on a specific one. "I think I'll have f/f..." I said. The waitress nod her head and turn around, getting ready to serve our food.

"I never thought I'd say this, kid. But congratulations on getting promoted. You've proven yourself to be a reliable ally" I hear Iguro-San said. I turn my head to look at him and smiles. He lift his hand, gently ruffling my hair. I pout at his action for messing up my hair. Eventually, I start to laugh and it makes everyone laughs as well.

I don't want to seem arrogant. But I'm proud of my achievements so far. Who would have thought that I'd be able to be a Hashira in span of 2 months. My mind drift off to Tanjiro, wondering how he's doing. Did he manage to be a Slayer too? I hope I'd be able to see him soon.

*to be continued*