xi. i was enchanted to meet you

a/n: this chapter will taste better if you listen to enchanted while reading it

"the lingering question kept me up."

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

y/n's pov:

"y/n? earth to y/n?" xochitl waves her hand in front of my face, "are you ready?" 

"ready as i'll ever be," i say, swallowing down the butterflies that are currently trying to exit my throat. 

i take the guitar from her hands and adjust the mic taped to my face. final touches. i saw walker earlier. i actually ran away from him after we made eye contact. if i'm going to let him apologize, why should i make it easy for him? i finger out a few chords just to make sure i remember. when xochitl asked me to perform, she wanted me to play my new song. i didn't want to play my new song. it's valentines day, i told her, let me play a love song. she agreed. so here i am, performing at a valentines day ball for a couple hundred strangers. and a few not so strangers. xochitl makes an "it's time" motion and i nod. when i walk out onto the stage, i think everyone is holding their breath. the lights are all dim, the spotlight is on me now. i come to stand in front of the mic. i try to find walker in the crowd. he's not hard to spot. he's tall and he's also staring directly at me. that does wonders for my nerves. i look away. 

i clear my throat, "happy valentines day everyone!! i hope all of you have found your rose-mate or at least have found someone!! feel free to dance to this or not dance, either way, enjoy!" 

then i close my eyes, take a deep breath and start singing. 

there i was again tonight, forcing laughter, faking smiles

same old tired lonely place

walls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy,

vanished when i saw your face

i sway to the music, letting myself sink into the melody. the guitar is solid under my fingers. the vibration of the strings against the palm of my hand. these words are etched into my heart, like walker's face is burned into the backs of my eyelids. 

all i can say is, it was enchanting to meet you 

i'm looking at walker. i hope he knows i can see him. i'm singing this for him. an apology for how i've acted. a question. the hope in his eyes drowns out everything i've felt over the past through days. hazel hums along in the back of my head. i can always feel her strongest when i'm singing. she loved my voice. that's why i made it my career. because i can never let go of her. she is me and i am my voice. so i keep singing on and on. i'll keep singing until my vocal chords tangle and my lungs collapse.