29/01/2675, 20:00 - Xinjing, Empire of Manchuria

Special City Xinjing, Empire of Manchuria

Water Lotus Room, Xinjing Yamato Hotel Annex

29 January 2675 (Xingxin 27 / 2015), 20:00

The average temperature in the Empire of Manchuria's capital, Xinjing, during January is minus 15 degrees Celsius. When night falls, it's not uncommon for the temperature to drop below minus 20 degrees Celsius, and this situation hasn't changed even after the transference to the New World. In the midst of this extreme cold, three men gather in a separate wing of the Xinjing Yamato Hotel. They are all high-ranking government officials, and while it is customary for secretaries to be present, their most trusted subordinates are not allowed to enter the room on this occasion.

"Now, now, let's have a drink."

"Oh, I appreciate it."

The one receiving the cup is Naotsugu Moriyama, 47 years old, Manchurian Minister of Foreign Affairs. Alongside him is Wang Kangwang, 48 years old, Minister of Agriculture of the same empire. Pouring the drink is Toratarō Hong, 63 years old, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Japanese Empire to Manchuria. Considering their ages, Ambassador Hong would normally be the one to receive the cup first, but in this gathering, he is the host.

"Winters in Manchuria are cold. Hot sake is the way to go during this season. Being able to appreciate Japanese sake must be thanks to the blood of a third-generation Japanese descendant, right? Wang-san, you have hot wine, but I wonder if it's domestically produced?"

"Yes, it's wine from Heilongjiang. I've been drinking this regularly during the winters in recent years. While I have tried European wines as well, I prefer the domestically produced ones. Ambassador Hong, would you like to give it a try?"

"Then, I shall have the pleasure... Hm, it's easy to drink. How about you, Moriyama-san? Have you tried it?"

"I haven't tried it. In my younger days, I got terribly drunk on wine once, so I've avoided it ever since. It's become a matter of not eating or drinking it."

As mentioned before, they are government officials, and they have a purpose for this meeting. They mustn't let the small talk before getting to the main topic drag on for too long. This is a secret meeting where they have shut out their subordinates, and it wouldn't be wise for the media to find out about it.

"Now, as for the purpose of this meeting, it is evident that the two of us from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Agriculture have been called here. However, we would like to hear the ambassador's intentions first."

"Then... It's about yesterday's statement from the head of the Manchurian Agricultural Association, Artur Korabelishkov. He said, 'Due to the transference to the New World, it has become difficult to obtain various resources. The anxiety among the citizens about the future is very strong. Shouldn't we impose restrictions on the export of food products to protect the people's food lifestyle?' Of course, your government is well aware of its responsibility for the safety of your citizens' lives. However, from our perspective, there are significant aspects where we have no choice but to rely on your country's exports. We would like to inquire about your upper-level authorities' views on imposing substantial export restrictions."

The two ministers exchanged glances, and after a brief moment, Minister Wang spoke.

"Of course. Both Manchuria and Japan were separated from our original world and transported to this mysterious world, with just these two countries. Just as a person cannot live alone, it may be difficult for a nation to survive alone. From that perspective, as our country, we absolutely must avoid any situation where your country's citizens would come to resent us due to the cessation of food supply."