''Memoirs'' of Foreign Ministry Official Yagou (2)

Day 4 Month 2

Perhaps it was the first time I didn't want to leave the bedding. The resilient comforter and warm blanket. The air in the room remains warm. Although there are certainly cold mornings in winter in Qua-Toyne, nights are kept warm by burning the fireplace throughout, which is no small expense. The generous hospitality of Japan towards us, and the generous treatment of even a foreign ministry official, is truly surprising.

After breakfast, we received detailed explanations on how to use the machine provided yesterday and practiced operating it to become accustomed. Mastering this machine will undoubtedly enhance the effectiveness of the inspection tour.

Even after lunch, we practiced operating as much as time allowed, and as it was said we would arrive soon, I packed my belongings and headed to the deck. The ports of Japan seen from the deck were frighteningly more developed compared to those of Qua-Toyne. My colleague Orangue had a history of being assigned to the Parpaldia Empire Embassy. I asked him, and he remarked that the ports of the Parpaldia Empire seemed like toys in comparison. If Japan's ports were adult-like, then Parpaldia Empire's ports were like infants, he murmured. Then what about our country's ports?

An incredibly large ship was visible at the edge of the port. When I asked Mr. Tanaka, he said it was a warship. It's a type of warship called an aircraft carrier, which carries and launches aircraft for attack and defense actions. Does this correspond to what is called a wyvern carrier in the Parpaldia Empire? I asked if there were gunboats, and he replied that if it's a warship carrying cannons, there are several types: battleships, aircraft carriers, first-class cruisers, second-class cruisers, and submarine tenders, and he explained in detail. When I asked what the differences were, he said battleships are heavily armed to attack enemies, heavily armored to protect allies, and carry the supreme commander on the battlefield to command the whole. First-class cruisers have lighter armor than battleships but are faster, engaging in both anti-ship attacks and excellent anti-aircraft defense capabilities on the battlefield. Second-class cruisers, being even lighter armored than first-class cruisers, maintain high speeds and excel primarily in anti-aircraft and anti-submarine defense, and have the role of commanding destroyers. When I asked what destroyers were, he replied that they are lightly armored but excel in anti-ship, anti-aircraft, and anti-submarine capabilities, and are fast ships. Since its name wasn't mentioned earlier, I asked if it wasn't a warship, he smiled bitterly and said that it isn't legally considered a warship domestically, but it was forgotten that it is treated as a warship externally. Furthermore, when I asked what that meant, he said that in his country, a warship refers specifically to a ship with a chrysanthemum emblem on the bow. Remembering the explanation about the monarch's emblem in Japan yesterday, I understood it was such a thing. I also asked about submarine tenders. They are ships that serve as flagships for submarine fleets, for overall command of submarines, and are used for supply, rescue, and crew rest for submarines. Submarines seem to be ships that dive underwater, but how is it different from sinking? How much skill does it take to navigate underwater?

Suddenly, I heard a deafening noise. Looking in the direction of the sound, I found another ship of similar size next to the aircraft carrier earlier. The shape of the ship was different. Looking at Mr. Tanaka, he said it was a salute. It's a ceremonial act performed to welcome everyone, he said. I see, the concept of saluting exists in our country as well, but first, it's that warship. When I asked about that warship, he replied that it was a battleship. It's the battleship Hitachi, serving as the flagship of the Fifth Fleet, he answered.

How loud is that big noise? Looking at General Hanki's face, sweat was dripping from his neck. When I asked about the size of the cannons, they're 46 cm cannons, he said. General Hanki's eyes widened. There's no better way to ask him about their performance than to ask General Hanki.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A key IJN base was established in Takao, so in this story, it will beupgraded to a Naval District Headquarters. It is set to serve as a frontlinebase for oil transport from the Middle East and defense of sea lanes.

- Monamoro