Chapter Seven

Dance for me, like a flower that blooms dead

I just wanna dance on, endlessly

Like a curse, I can't stop myself

- Chaconne

The prince looked at the flower on his windowsill.

The girl had given it to him, promising that when it bloomed it would have beautiful petals in many colors. But it sat on the windowsill, blooming once and never again.

He still held onto it, in hopes of seeing another bloom. It was vibrant, nothing like he had seen before in this dark room.

Ever since that day, it had stayed there, drooping even in full sun.

It was not something of that much importance, the prince supposed. Flowers were fragile and nothing could be expected out of them.

It still was sad to see the flower dead on his windowsill.

Maybe that's why he couldn't bear tossing it away. It reminded him much of himself, lonely and fit for the dead.

He sincerely hoped in another time, he was as vibrant as the flower once was, beautiful and accepted by all.

The sun was setting outside, the room growing darker by the minute. The prince had no energy to light a candle - it was fine.

He would embrace the darkness like he always did.

Resigned to what was to come, the prince felt the power of the moon rise and his desire grow.

Blood. He needed blood after restraining himself for a few nights.

Grabbing his cloak, he knew he would attack the first thing he smelled. It had been too long since he sank his vicious teeth into soft flesh.

Pure bliss.

(As always, he never paid attention to the inevitable aftermath. The pain and guilt he felt for taking another life away.

It hurt too much to think about.)

He threw open the door and was greeted by the alluring scent of blood. His mind blinded, his hands reached out to grab whatever was outside his door.

It didn't matter who it was.

He opened his mouth, ready to taste that sweet, sweet blood that was driving him insane.

He needed that inside of him, now and forever.

Until he heard her gasp.

"My Prince," she strained to whisper and the prince came back to his senses.

His claws were digging into her shoulders and her face was twisted with pain. The prince wanted to ignore her and bite into her neck anyways, but she silently pleaded with him.

Stumbling back, the prince felt disgusted with himself.

How could he behave like this? With the one that fully accepted his nature and still chose to love him?

How could he turn on her? Like he was a creature of the night?

Of course, as always, he had the answers he chose to ignore.

(Deep inside, he knew he was cursed and he could never love another.

His desire would tear them apart and would leave them broken.)

But now he could only focus on the girl he had hurt in front of him. She was in pain, just as he was, and now it was his turn to help her.

Gathering her in his arms - gently this time - his eyes landed on the dead flowers again. Never mind those, death was a given with mortal beings.

"My Prince, are you alright?" she asked but the prince ignored this. His pain was nothing to what the girl felt right now.

"My Lady," the prince pledged, "you are mine and my own. I shall protect you with my life. I dedicate myself wholly to you."

He ignored the desire, the uncontrollable flame, deep within him for her blood.

A/N: Thank you for reading!