Chapter Twelve

This endless agony and thirst

                                        Punishment that defied fate

                                    My arrogant oblivion and illusion

                                         Swallow the river of Lethe

                                            - Sacrifice (Eat Me Up)

Fate gently guided the prince away from the girl's body.

The scene was horrific. On the blood splattered stone lay the girl's mutilated body, never to breathe again.

Fate could not pity the lovers. Fate had chosen murder and this was their final punishment.

The prince knew punishment all too well.

He was born un-human and lived his entire life in agony. He often wondered what sins he had committed to live like this.

But it wasn't what he did. It was what he was fated to do.

Fate made him a monster.

Destiny promised the prince love, a freedom from his pain. He became disillusioned as the girl distracted him from his true nature.

Fate lied that his love was real. That their love was real.

They truly believed that immortality was theirs but the prince knew it would never be like that.

The mortal beautiful girl laid on the floor, dead. Arrogance killed her.

No, he killed her.

He, the monster that the world feared but she loved.

But their love was never destined to be beautiful.

He had tainted it from the beginning and the girl could not have saved it. Beauty was ephemeral and their life was ephemeral.

The prince should never have tempted Fate. Their love could not be as beautiful as he thought it would be – not when beauty was to be found within mortality.

He could only love the girl within mortality.

But, the prince too was mortal.

The prince could not face the justice of the kingdom. He could not let the others confirm what they had known for years.

The rumors had haunted him like his own shadow for years, the deepest and darkest part of himself.

He had vowed he would never accept him, for the shadow would become the truth. Kalliroi had convinced him that he was human, that his shadow was not a true part of himself.

What a beautiful lie he had lived.

It was a terrible charade. An illusion that came undone with Kalliroi's mangled body, the blood stains on his teeth.

He couldn't be granted humanity for he was a monster.

"Come," Fate called out to him and the prince followed.

Whatever he must face, he would face it willingly.

The girl was dead.

His blood covered hands were a macabre, sickening reminder he failed to be human.

Fate took the prince gently.

But Fate could not pity the prince. Only the girl.

Perhaps Fate, too, was at fault for the girl's death. But Fate indeed was at fault for the prince's end.

A stake through his heart.

Blood surrounding the dying body.

An eternal soul cleansed of its memories.

And now, Fate would wait again.

Destiny would allow the lovers to meet and give them what they want. And Fate would watch with bated breath.

Just like always, it would start.

A spark. Stolen glances. Hands brushing against each other.

And Fate would interfere. 

A/N: Thank you everyone who has read this!