Chapter Eight

The pure nape of her neck keeps driving me crazy

                                                  Throw me into an uncontrollable desire

                                                        I've been forgiven so many times

                                                                          Still a monster

                                                                         - Still Monster

The girl still visited him as much as she could. They would spend hours talking to each other - about their lives, about their past, and about their future.

The prince would see her around the palace.

He would stalk about the halls and would catch a glimpse of her, looking gorgeous in her silk dresses and ribbons. It was comforting to know that she was always close by.

It wasn't a coincidence that he saw her so often. Her blood was alluring and he could not get enough of the smell.

Even now, he followed her scent through the hallways and there she was, the sunlight falling over her.

Her hair was pushed behind her ears, exposing her smooth neck and he felt an uncontrollable desire to lunge at her.

Calming himself down - sucking the blood out of the girl he loved wouldn't look too good - the prince approached her.

The noble she was speaking to made a little squeak and quickly made an excuse to leave.

"My Prince," she said and the prince caressed her exposed skin. Smooth and soft, he could imagine sinking his teeth into the flesh and relishing the taste of blood. "Why are you here?"

The prince just smiled. "Nothing much, my Lady. I want to see you later in the evening."

And so he went with his day, but of course like always, the night showed his true colors.

Driven insane by the scent of blood, the prince stalked hungrily in his room waiting for the girl to arrive.

He would get her to leave as soon as possible. He would never hurt her - she was his to love, only his and only to love.

He would keep her close and out of harm. Together. Until the end of time.

The sweet, alluring scent of blood reached him and the prince licked his lips. Soon, he told his anxious mind, soon he would feast. But not now.

The girl walked in, her neck exposed again. The blood pumping within her pulsed with the prince's own desires and he longed to sink his teeth into that flesh.

Unknowest to her, the girl crept closer and the prince reached out. He stroked her neck - ignoring the questioning look on her face - and felt the blood beneath the skin. It drove him crazy with desire and he needed it.

He needed to taste it, relish, and cleanse her neck of its purity.

"My Prince?" the girl asked, panic seeping into her voice. "What are you doing? Stop it!"

His teeth were hovering only a few inches away from the skin. The girl looked scared and the prince immediately backed off.

"Kalliroi, my love," the prince started, not knowing how to explain himself.

"I've forgiven you many times before," the girl said, pity in her voice. "I love you, I truly do."

"I love you just as much," the prince begged, his heart filled with guilt. "Our love - it's meant to be immortal. We are meant to be immortal."

"Would you tempt Fate? Will you swear to keep me close? Will you never harm me, my Prince?"

"I call upon Fate right now. Lady Kalliroi is mine, I will protect her, and we shall be together for the rest of time." The prince looked at the girl, but she still looked terrified.

"I will believe you this once," the girl said hesitantly. "From the bottom of my heart, I forgive you for this - your instincts. But I cannot stay here any longer. Please understand."

The prince did understand and he watched the girl leave, taking the sweet scent of blood away with her.

Fate made him into a bloodthirsty, unlovable monster. And here, he called upon Fate to show that he was lovable, that he cared for more than blood.

Fate listened to his call yet paid no heed. The decision was made;

The prince, alone in his room, was a monster who could barely keep his loved ones safe from him. Fate, watching above, was sadistic and could only find pleasure ruining his playthings in every life.