Don't Die A Hero? Don't Die... At All?

The revelation hung heavy in the air, a weight settling on their peaceful moment. Nico's choked sobs against Will's shirt were a stark contrast to the gentle moonlight filtering through the window. Will's heart ached with a new understanding – the past wasn't just about mending a broken bond, it was about ensuring their future together.

Pulling back slightly, Will wiped away the tears trailing down Nico's pale cheeks. "Hey," he murmured, his voice soft and soothing. "It's okay. We'll figure this out."

Nico sniffled, his eyes red-rimmed and vulnerable. "But what if there's no figuring it out? What if the Isles of the Blessed are... permanent?"

The fear in Nico's voice gnawed at Will. He couldn't imagine a future without Nico, a future where their stolen moments in the Underworld would be relegated to a distant memory.

Taking a deep breath, Will spoke, his voice laced with a newfound determination. "Then we change the future, Nico. We make sure you don't die a hero's death on your third life."

Nico's eyes widened in surprise. "How?"

Will smiled, a spark of hope igniting in his eyes. "We find another way. We find another hero. We rewrite your destiny, Nico. Together."

A flicker of a smile touched Nico's lips. "Together?"

Will cupped Nico's face, his thumb gently tracing the curve of his cheek. "Always." He leaned in, their lips meeting in a soft kiss, a promise whispered against the darkness.

The future stretched before them, an uncertain path filled with challenges. But for the first time in a long time, both Will and Nico faced it hand-in-hand, their bond strengthened by the ghosts of the past and the hope of a future they would rewrite together.

However, a nagging doubt lingered in the back of Will's mind. Hades had warned him about hurting Nico again, yet the second chance he'd granted remained shrouded in secrecy. How much did Nico truly remember? Did he know about their future as heroes destined for separate afterlives?

"Nico," Will began, his voice hesitant.

Nico looked up, his dark eyes searching. "Yes?"

"Earlier, in the grove..." Will trailed off, unsure how to broach the subject.

Nico sighed, a hint of understanding flickering in his eyes. "Do you have to tell me?"

Will stared at him, confused. "About the... harsh things I said?"

Nico shook his head. "No, not that. Something else."

Suddenly, a realization dawned on Will. Nico hadn't forgotten the argument, the cruel words. Hades hadn't erased his memories, he'd simply made Will confront his past without revealing the consequences.

"Nico..." Will began, a million questions swirling in his mind.

"We can talk about it later," Nico interrupted gently. "Right now, all I want is to be here, with you."

Will nodded, pulling Nico closer. The truth of the past would have to wait, but for now, he would hold onto this moment, this fragile hope for a future where their love wouldn't be bound by the cruel laws of the gods.

"We'll figure it out," Will mumbled, his voice thick with sleep, leaning in to press a lingering kiss on Nico's forehead.

Nico, however, wasn't awake. His face, usually etched with a faint stoicism, remained blank and uncharacteristically peaceful. A sliver of unease wormed its way into Will's stomach.

"Nico?" he called out, a hint of concern creeping into his voice. He gently shook Nico's shoulder, expecting him to stir awake with a sleepy groan.

But Nico didn't move.