Scene 5: Mutiny

Commander Gormileaux watched Lord Trogaar listen to the report Komand'r had been ordered to give him in person. Despite the fact that he knew her failure would not be good for the Citadel, the commander was eager to see Trogaar punish Komand'r for failing her mission. Not only had she failed to kill her inferior sister, but she had only succeeded in bringing back one human-made war suit. She promised to bring an entire arsenal, and the one she had brought was severely damaged.

"It is most unfortunate that you did not bring me what you promised me you would, Komand'r," Trogaar finally said after she had finished her report. "These War Suits would've increased our firepower tenfold. I am also sorry to hear you could not bring me the head of Koriand'r."

He shook his head, disappointed. Then he smiled. "Fortunately for you, I do not forget your unwavering loyalty. I do not forget how you delivered your home planet to me. I do not forget how it fell with when we used the information you gave us. Before you joined us, there were times I believed Tamaran would never fall. Also, after your battle with those Psions, we have now conwuered them and made them a part of our cause; their scientists will prove quite useful. For all you have done, I consider your failure on Earth to be minor, and we just might be able to repair the one suit and use it to upgrade our weapons, even we can't actually use the suits themselves."

Gormileaux had hoped Trogaar's smile would mean additional reprimanding against Komand'r. He had hoped he would continue to punish her. He had not expected this. In his opinion, Komand'r should be executed in a manner similar to how she had intended to kill her own sister.

"Lord Trogaar," he said, standing up, "with all due respect, we should not allow this to go with no punishment. We should. . ."

Trogaar held up a silencing hand. "I will hold punishment for the people of Earth, as well as those who oppose my judgment." He glared at Gormileaux and asked him menacingly, "Shall I punish you next?"

Gormlieaux hid a gulp and said the only smart thing he could say. "Of course not, Lord Trogaar."

"Very well," said Trogaar. "If we have nothing further to say, this meeting will be adjourned."

Trogaar was the first to leave the meeting room, and most of the officers present followed him. Komand'r was just about to leave as well, but one captain seized her arm. "I don't care what Trogaar says. You deserve death for your failure on Earth. Now your end has come."

From his belt he drew a long knife, which he ran along his tongue. He raised it over his head and brought it down to strike, but she grasped his wrist and made him drop the knife. When he let go, she brought her foot to his chest and forced him backward. Just as he got back to his feet, Komand'r kicked the knife into the air and watched as it flew into the captain's mouth.

The remaining officers stared at her in astonishment. When she met Gormileaux's eyes, she asked the room at large, "Anyone else have something they want to say to me?" No one responded, and she left the room without waiting for an answer.

Finally, only Gormileaux and his squad lieutenants remained in the room. Looking at their expressions, he could tell they were thinking the same thing she was. He was simply waiting for one of them to voice it out.

"Something must be done about Komand'r," one of them said at last. "She is a fool for joining us. She has no right to be in our ranks."

"But how can we get rid of her?" asked another anxiously. "She is more powerful than we know. We must think of some other way to get rid of her."

"I agree," said Gormileaux, "but we must do it more discreetly than how Captain Khandros chose to go about finishing her off."

"How?" asked a third lieutenant.

Gormileaux smiled. "Trogaar was correct about recruiting the Psions. Now that we have their scientists in our ranks, a wide variety of possibilities are now open to us. I am certain that includes a way to imprison an all-powerful Tamaranian such as Komand'r and her sister. Now come, I know the most trusted Citadel officers have each had a team of Psion scientists assigned to them. It's about time we met the ones under my command. Let's see what they can come up with."

***

Knowing Gormileaux, Blackfire was sure he would be up to something. He had betrayed his intentions to kill her when he had spoken against her. As for the attack on Khandros, that had come as no surprise. He had always been prejudiced against Tamaranians, even if one was in Trogaar's favor.

Now he was no longer a problem, but Gormileaux was another matter. That's why she needed to meet her Psion scientists. She had a plan for how to become more powerful than she was already. If she succeeded, she could get rid of Gormileaux for good, and then she could deal with Starfire.

Arriving at the lab, the lead scientist said to Blackfire in greeting, "Komand'r, this is unexpected. Nonetheless, how can we be of assistance?"

"I have your team's first assignment," replied Blackfire simply. "I have come to give you a sample of my blood. It will be your job to find a cure for the disease I contracted as a little girl."