Scene 15: An Icy Family Reunion

As soon as the fighter landed on the surface of Tamaran, Starfire took each of her friends by the hand and flew down the streets of Tamaran.

"You know where you're going?" asked Jennifer over the sound of rushing wind. She glared at Nightwing. "Did you even stop to think about what we would do when we landed on the surface?"

"Well no offense," Nightwing said as they flew further down the Tamaranian streets, "but I was still expecting a welcome party when we got to the ground. I was going to plan after we took them out."

"There is no need for that," said Starfire. "I already know where we can take shelter. The people we are about to meet are most loyal to my father. I know we can count on them to hide us from the Citadel."

Before they had sent the Citadel ship into the Tamaranian moon, Starfire had pointed out it would be wise for them to wear cloaks to hide their faces. If anyone saw them, they wouldn't know who they were.

Now they stopped before a small house very close to the palace gate. Starfire motioned for the other two to stand back and she knocked on the front door. A few seconds later, it opened to reveal a middle aged Tamaranian couple.

"Who are you?" the husband demanded. "Why have you come here? Show me your faces." Starfire lowered her hood, and the man's wife gasped in surprise. "Koriand'r?" said the man in equal surprise. "They told us you were dead."

Starfire shook her head. "Never believe any of the lies the Citadel whisper through their forked tongues. I have come to finally free our people from their subjugation." She smiled. "It is good to see you again, Krissand'r, Galfore."

The Tamaranian woman, whose name must've been Krissand'r, motioned for Starfire to move inside. "Hurry, before the guards come. Curfew is almost in effect. Galfore, let her friends in too."

"Hurry," ordered Galfore.

Nightwing and Jennifer nodded, following Starfire inside the house. As soon as Galfore closed the door, he ordered them to remove their cloaks. "My little bumgorf, you must to tell us what you have been all this time."

"It is quite a tale," agreed Starfire, "but there is a more pressing matter to attend to. What has been happening to our people?"

There was silence, then Krissand'r looked through the window to see a Citadel patrol pass by the streets. Covering the window, she finally made her way to the stove. "We have much to discuss. Much has transpired in the years since you were taken from your father. There is so much we will have to fill you in on." She turned to her husband. "Why don't you start? I will make us something for all of us to drink."

As Krissand'r set to work on the stove, Jennifer tapped Starfire on the shoulder. "Hey Star, I can't understand a word your friends are saying."

Nightwing looked surprised. "That's strange. I can understand them perfectly."

Starfire blushed. "Oh, well. . .that would because of the. . .um, lip contact I performed when I first met you."

Jennifer didn't need her to continue. "Let me guess, when you receive knowledge through your lips, you also transfer it as well." Starfire nodded and Jennifer held back a laugh. "That's okay. If it's all the same to you, I'll just interpret what they're saying."

Their attention was brought back to Galfore, who grunted as he took his seat by the table. "The day after, you were taken as your sister's slave, Lord Trogaar came before us and announced a new set of rules. The first was to put a curfew into effect. No one is to leave their homes anymore after dark."

Starfire nodded. "That means meetings or gatherings in the evenings are prohibited?" she asked.

Galfore nodded. "As you can imagine, we were ordered to turn over all of our weapons in the name of the Citadel. Our military forces were forced to either surrender or be slaughtered before our eyes. I wanted to strike down Trogaar right then, but I knew I would not be able to protect my wife and my people if I was slain."