Scene 20: A New Battle Plan

The conversation Starfire had had with Raven fascinated Nightwing. The pendant had a twin somewhere. According to Starfire, communication with the bearer of the other pendant was easier when they were on the same planet. He could tell Raven's last words were cryptic. But he saw them for what they were: Raven was on Earth. Judging from the certain expression on her face, Starfire had figured it out too.

Nightwing turned his attention to Jennifer. "Well, I'm sure you find it hard to believe, but I am glad to see you're okay."

"What is the world coming to now?" asked Jennifer sarcastically.

That was when Krissand'r's sister got to her feet. All this time, she had remained silent, intently listening to Starfire's story, looking fascinated. Now her expression was worried, her eyes focused on the front window.

"It is almost sunset. Curfew will soon be put into effect. Who could possibly be coming here now?"

The figure outside opened the door without preamble. It was not a member of the Citadel, but Krissand'r. "Galfore saw you fly in this direction. He wished to know if you are well."

Starfire smiled at Jennifer. "You have not come a moment too soon, Krissand'r. Tell me, what news do you bring? I feared the worst when I had to leave you behind."

Krissand'r returned the smile. She also wrapped Starfire in a jubilant hug. "You need not feel guilt, my girl," Krissand'r assured her when she broke the hug. "All of the palace's dungeons have been emptied, and many weapons have been stolen from the Citadel. Your escape has given your people a newly rekindled hope."

"How true," said Krissand'r's sister, who moved in to hug her. "Sister, it is good to see you. I am so happy nothing has happened to you? Tell us, what more is transpiring?"

Krissand'r turned around to look out the window. The sun had almost set. When she brought her eyes to rest on Starfire, she said, "I do not have much time. My mission was to locate Koriand'r and deliver a message from you father."

"My father?"

Krissand'r nodded at her disbelieving expression. "Yes, he wishes to know when you intend to take the fight to the Citadel. We are coming together to take back what is ours."

Nightwing watched Starfire hesitate. She seemed unsure about what Krissand'r was saying. He had an idea what was bothering her. After hearing about her conversation with her father, he could understand why she had doubts. Yet there was a glimmer of hope. Perhaps he had seen sense. If that was the case. . .

At last, Starfire found her voice. "This is the truth?" Krissand'r nodded. "It must be done at first light," Starfire decided. "Knowing Trogaar and my sister, they will wish to punish me for escaping. Perhaps it is reckless, but we cannot allow the Citadel to murder more Tamaranians. We must take the fight to them now."

"Very well," said Krissand'r, "your message shall be delivered." She hugged Starfire again and Nightwing heard Krissand'r whisper in her ear, "Rest easy, child." She broke the hug, then hugged her sister and turned to Nightwing and Jennifer. "May Xhal allow us to see each other again. For the present, we say goodbye."

***

When Krissand'r had gone, Starfire had chosen to turn in for the night. Before she could, both Jennifer and Nightwing wanted to speak with her. Fortunately, Krissand'r's sister had been tactful in sending her children to bed. This made Starfire feel comfortable. It would not be easy to speak to them with a full audience.

Jennifer spoke first. "Thanks, Star. I owe you. I know I joke a lot, but that snake venom was. . .something else. I can't even begin to describe the feeling. . ."

Starfire shook her head. "Do not dwell on it, Jennifer. And I am not the one you owe your life to. Whoever Raven is, she is a good person. She chose to help me. Without her, you would now be lost."

"Well, thanks anyway," said Jennifer.

Nightwing knelt down between the two girls. He hesitated for a moment, then he asked Starfire, "How do you feel?"

Starfire was not entirely sure how she was feeling, or how many emotions she was feeling. She was quite happy Jennifer was no longer in danger of dying from snake venom. There was still a danger, though. She could still be killed by other means in the fight to come.

Then there was her father. She trusted Krissand'r, but had her father told her the truth? Perhaps Krissand'r had forgotten to mention something. Could he have changed, or was he lying? But if he was, what could he possibly gain? If he was not, what was going through his mind?

Starfire would think he would not be happy to see her. Yet the last thing he had said had been in concern for her. He had truly wished for her not to be tainted with the knowledge of Blackfire's birth. It was possible she would not survive to learn the answers to her questions.

In answer to Nightwing's question, she simply said, "We shall see."

"In either case," said Jennifer, "we need to sleep." Her eyes met Starfire's. "And perhaps in the morning, it would do you good to change into some fresh clothes. Jennifer pulled out her bag, and Starfire smiled. Inside was a fresh set of clothes for her, clothes she normally only wore to boxing fights.

***

Blackfire had had enough of her sister escaping her. By tomorrow, she intended to do what she had been vying to do for years. By tomorrow, Starfire would finally be history. Now it was time to visit the Psions.

"Master Komand'r," said the head scientist in surprise when she entered the lab, "this is quite the surprise. We were not expecting you so soon. Not until tomorrow morning, at least."

Blackfire waved an impatient and dismissive hand. "Enough with the pleasantries. I cannot afford to wait for morning. My sister is at large and she will lead an attack on this palace. Tell me now. What progress have you made?"

"Well, we have made our first attempt on the cure for your disease. In fact it is right here."

He pulled out a vial from his coat pocket. No sooner was the vial in his palm, the Blackfire snatched it from him and said, "I need a syringe." Ignoring protests, Blackfire found what she was looking for, placed the vial in the syringe, and injected herself with the cure.

The sensation was unlike anything she had ever felt. There was a kind of tingling through her whole being. It felt like her feet weren't touching the ground. Looking down Blackfire realized why: they weren't.