Scene 22: Warriors' Final Hours

By now, Gormileaux was recovering from the injury he had just been inflicted with. But now he was rising to his feet, retreating to the doors and stepping over the bodies of four guards, one dead the other three unconscious. The time had come; one of the sisters was doomed to die. The other would be imprisoned for the rest of her days.

***

The ten guards didn't care who got hit by their cannons. If their own allies got caught in the crossfire, it was of no consequence to them. It was just the kind of reprehensible act Blackfire would give her men.

Even without the War Suit cannons, Starfire would still be shocked by the fact her sister was flying. This was impossible. The disease she contracted as a child prevented her from doing so. What had she done?

Numerous thoughts raced through her mind, but she hardly had time to take them in. Both sides were losing men. Those cannons had to be destroyed. But Blackfire had to be distracted.

Starfire locked eyes with our father. "Please, do what you can to protect our people. Meet with Galfore and rally all you can. I must have a talk with my elder sister."

The Emperor of Tamaran didn't need telling twice. He just nodded. As he charged into the thick of the battle, Starfire took flight and made her way to Blackfire.

Blackfire saw her. She ordered her troops to keep firing, then she flew to meet Starfire. When they were face-to-face, she laughed sinisterly. "You should see the expression on your face, sister. I'm glad you noticed. I no longer have to live in jealousy of your ability to fly."

"How is this possible?" demanded Starfire.

"Oh, if there was time to give you the full story," smirked Blackfire. "I will give you the short version. Did you really think I would allow the Psions to get away with their attack on me? No, they have been forced to join the Citadel, and their knowledge of science has allowed them to outdo themselves. At last, the cure for my disease has come into creation."

Starfire understood every word Blackfire said. "I do not know how many Psions had to die before they agreed to join you. But you will not be allowed to enjoy your new ability. I have defeated yourself before and I will do it once more."

"Fortunately for me," said Blackfire, "I understand what you have about easy flight can be. You really don't need to be taught how to fly. And now that I can fly, I have new possibilities open to me, such as new ways to kill you!"

Blackfire launched one of her purple starbolts at Starfire, who didn't see the attack coming in time. She was hit hard in the stomach. The pain was hard, but something was different. Starfire had been hit by Blackfire's starbolts before, but the intensity was different. It wasn't more powerful, no, it felt like it had been sapped of some strength.

"It would seem your achievements came at a cost," Starfire said aloud.

Blackfire scowled. "I'm afraid that is no longer relevant. I will still kill you. Now why don't we go somewhere more private?"

Blackfire threw more starbolts at her sister, but Starfire simply used her own to intercept them. Under cover of the explosions, she flew in and attacked her sister. But Blackfire was just ready for her. A hand seized her throat and threw her through a window.

When Starfire came out her daze, she realized she was inside the throne room. Blackfire had destroyed the window above the thrones of their parents. Looking at herself, Starfire saw a shard of glass stuck to her midriff.

Starfire gasped. The shard and the pain it brought was hardly what was startling her. No, the shard was stuck in the same area when Jennifer was stabbed by Blackfire. She almost couldn't bring herself to remove the shard, but she managed to pull it out just as Blackfire entered the room. Her eyes widened with glee.