Scene 24: Going Home

Since their ride had been destroyed, the Emperor of Tamaran had provided Starfire and her friends with a Tamaranian vessel. Among the crowd of well-wishers come to see them off were Galfore and Krissand'r.

"Farewell, Krissand'r. I have much to thank you for."

Krissand'r smiled at this. "Oh, but I owe you far more," and she kissed her forehead in thanks.

Galfore wrapped her in a warm hug. "Take care, my little bumgorf. Be safe."

"And you as well."

"Before you go," said her father, "I would wish for you to take this with you," and he handed his daughter a small disc. "If ever you wish to speak to any of us, press the button in the center. Your calls will always be answered."

He looked back at the palace. "Your sister will be looked after. In time, perhaps someday, she will come to terms with her crimes and find remorse. I am not sure of it, but we can hope."

Starfire hugged her father one last time and said to him, "Thank you again, Father. I wish the best for our family. I will never forget you."

"Nor I you, my dear. You have grown to be such a beautiful young woman, just like your mother before you. You have my blessing in your travels, something I should have given years ago."

Starfire blinked back more tears of joy and moved to join her friends, waving goodbye to her people even when the door closed behind her. Only when the ship entered lightspeed did she move to join Jennifer and Nightwing on the bridge of the ship. As soon as she entered the room, Jennifer hugged her.

"You know, your people aren't the only ones who are proud of you," Jennifer told her, beaming in jubilation.

Starfire returned the smile. "Well, I would be surprised to learn if that was not true." She sighed in content. "So much is going to change. Now that my people are free, I feel the future will be brighter than ever."

"On that," said Nightwing, who was also smiling, "we can all agree on. You did so much, for the entire galaxy, as well as your people. You should treasure this moment."

"Indeed," said Starfire in assent. Together, the three of them got into a group hug and squeezed each other affectionately.

Eventually, Nightwing broke the hug. "Well, I'll let us know when we arrive in Earth's atmosphere. You should get some sleep, Star. You've earned it."

***

Starfire hadn't need telling twice. This had been a long ordeal, and it was finally taking its toll on her. She fell asleep the moment she closed her eyes. Immediately, she from reality and into dream.

"Hello, Koriand'r." In her dream, as in many previous ones before, the image of her mother appeared before her. Her smiles was as bright as her father's. "Well done, my daughter. I am so proud of you, for you have done more than save your people and give hope to an entire galaxy. You have grown so much on this journey. You are no longer the child I knew you in life. Your father spoke the truth; you have become a lovely young lady."

"Thank you, Mother," said Starfire, her expression now one of the utmost seriousness. "But now there is something I wish you to tell me. That is, if you can tell me."

Her mother considered before saying, "Very well. What is your question? I promise to answer to the best of my ability, and I will not lie to you."

"I wish to know how you are here. I wish to know the true reason. How is it you have always been able to appear in my dreams?"

"I thought as much. Very well, the time has come for you to know." Her mother sighed, thinking of the best way to recollect the past. "You remember what Phisanua said about how her people learned how to use their abilities to heal from the people of Azarath?"