Scene 17: Spreading the Word

This had been easier than Blackfire had thought. She was worried it take her much longer to capture Starfire and bring her before the rest of the Citadel. Then she had recognized the human called Jennifer, and that made her plan for taking her sister prisoner almost effortless.

Moments later, they had arrived outside the Tamaranian throne room, where Lord Trogaar and the others would be waiting for them. "Open the doors, please," Blackfire ordered the guards. "I have to give my report to Trogaar in person."

The two guards watched Blackfire gesture at Starfire, then they both grinned in maniacal happiness. "Of course," the said together. "Right this way, Master Komand'r."

The doors to the throne room opened, and Blackfire stepped forward with Starfire, waving a hand to tell her troops to stay back with the other prisoners. When they were at the feet of the throne in front of Trogaar, the older Tamaranian kicked her younger sister hard in the legs, causing her to groan in pain and sink to her knees.

"Good day, Lord Trogaar. As I promised I would, I have brought you my sister, the fugitive Koriand'r, before you in chains. She tried foolishly to fight back, but it made no difference in the end."

Trogaar grinned in satisfaction. "I am sure it is quite the story, so please, divulge it."

And so Blackfire explained how she had brought her task force to the location of the beacon Gormileaux had placed on Starfire. She explained how Starfire had admittedly put up a fierce fight and defeated her entire squad. She explained how she had recognized Jennifer from her visit to Earth and how she had stabbed her with a poisoned knife.

At hearing about the knife with the Qordeemian snake venom, Trogaar's sinister grin had spread from cheek to hideous cheek. "Once more, Koriand'r, you have proven yourself to be one of my most cunning allies. And to think I wanted to kill you when we first met."

His eyes fell on Gormileaux. "I am afraid, however, to inform you that you do owe your success to another. Commander Gormileaux, please rise." The Citadel commander did so, making no effort to conceal his triumphant smile. "Commander," Trogaar continued, "I know you have disagreed with me on a number of occasions, but you are the reason finding Koriand'r was even possible. Therefore, you have my thanks," his eyes fell back to Blackfire as he said, "and the thanks of all present, I am sure."

In that instant, Blackfire could tell Trogaar knew all about her rivalry with Gormlieaux. But much did he know? Could he suspect her plans for killing him? She could feel Gormileaux's stare on her and could tell he was wondering the same thing.

Before Blackfire could ponder this further, Trogaar looked down at Starfire. "You never should have come back, my dear. But I am pleased to see you. Your execution has been delayed for far too long. We shall, therefore have it scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. No need for you to fret; you'll be with your filthy mother soon enough."

"And in the meantime?" asked Gormileaux.

"Summon the Tamaranians this afternoon," replied Trogaar. "I have no doubt they will want news of what has become of their beloved princess. I feel her imprisonment will come as a pleasant shock to them."

Trogaar laughed, and most of the guards and officers joined him. Blackfire didn't have time to see Gormileaux's reaction, because she was ordered to leave and lock Starfire up in the dungeon tower, along with Jennifer. As for Galfore and Krissand'r, rightly believing Starfire told them about her father's fate, and wanting to keep his fate a secret, they were to be locked away with the Emperor of Tamaran.

Before she could leave, a guard entered the throne room and knelt at Trogaar's side. "My lord, I bring good news. Our Psion scientists report success with the experiment. They will be making the necessary improvements to our arsenal when you give the order."