Scene 23: Tamaran Free At Last

Trogaar's death had never been in the original plan. Politically speaking, though, to anyone who intended to fight the Citadel, it was an event that would be used as a sign of encouragement. Then there was the matter of Gormileaux and Blackfire, who had been the Citadel's most ambitious members. With one dead and the other imprisoned, it would be even more difficult for the Citadel to rally behind a new leader.

As for the survivors, they had been allowed to go free from Tamaran. This was not entirely an act of kindness. On the contrary, the real intention was to have them spread the word of their defeat across the galaxy. Soon, entire systems would know of the Citadel's humiliation.

When the last of the Citadel guards had flown away from the planet, the Emperor of Tamaran was restored to the throne. His first act was to call forth everyone to pay their respects to the Tamaranian men and women who had died fighting for the freedom of their people. "Remember why they died," Galfore had said in his most booming voice. "They gave their lives up so the rest of us can live, so the next generation will never half to live their lives in oppression. It was never in vain, and as long as we remember that, they will never have truly perished."

Krissand'r had cried hard when her husband had spoken; her sister, Kordeliand'r, had been among the dead. This would mean her children would have to move in with her. It was only knowing they would need someone to look after them, as well as Galfore staying with her, that was keeping her from true despondency.

Starfire knew it would be a long time before she recovered, but she had faith she would. When she said this to Krissand'r, she had wrapped her in a hug. "Thank you, child. I will never forget what you did for your people. No one here will."

After the ceremony, the Emperor of Tamaran called everyone in the throne room. It still needed to be repaired, but unlike the courtyard, the damage wasn't too severe. In light of their victory, everyone was expecting to hear some kind of speech. But he had no intention of giving one about himself.

"My people, today we have won a great victory. Within days, the rest of the galaxy will know how Tamaran unshackled itself from the iron grip of the Citadel. They will know that how we achieved this, and we shall use it to inspire other worlds to stand up for themselves."

His eyes fixed on Starfire. "Alas, every revolution comes into being by select individuals brave enough to plant the seeds of revolution. We all have someone very special to thank, someone we have lost for seven long years. Koriand'r, if you and your companions would please step forward." Starfire stood up and knelt before her father's throne. Nightwing and Jennifer did likewise.

"Years ago, when the Citadel came, our princess was taken from us. Many of us, including myself, lived in fear that she had been killed by the Citadel long ago. Now we know the truth. Our princess, cunning and resourceful, escaped and found refuge on a planet inhabiting people who did not even know her name. Yet they showed kindness and gave her another place to call home."

The Emperor of Tamaranian inclined his head to Jennifer and Nightwing. "Jennifer Hawkins, Nightwing the Infiltrator, you are not Tamaranian. You know very little about our way of life. And yet you risked your lives to save ours. For that, your names will be remembered for all time."

The applause that followed was louder than two full football stadiums. Normally, if Jennifer had been exposed to so much noise, she would've covered her ears. Now, though, the thought didn't occur to her.

When the applause died down, the Emperor of Tamaran brought his gaze back to Starfire. "And now we must give recognition, who showed bravery above and beyond any of our expectations. Koriand'r, my beautiful daughter, will you please rise?"

"Yes, Father," replied Starfire, smiling as she came to stand on both feet.

The Emperor of Tamaran continued. "The first thing I must say is I am truly sorry. I never should have doubted you. Today, you showed me how much your people mean to you, how they meant to me before the Citadel came. I personally thank you for that. You also showed me something else. You are ready at last. The time has come for you to take your rightful place on the throne of your ancestors. You have earned your birthright."

Of all the things Starfire expected him to say, this had never occurred to her. She looked back at Jennifer and Nightwing, the former of which looked more surprised than the latter. Looking closer, she could see Jennifer holding back tears. In that instant, Starfire knew what had to be done.

"Father, may I speak?" He nodded yes. Raising her voice so everyone could hear her, Starfire said, "When I was taken from Tamaran, my first home, I feared I would spend the rest of my life feeling damaged. But I soon learned this fear was false, yet I was right about another matter. In my time away from Tamaran, I did discover who I am."

Shaking her head at her father, and hesitating for just another fraction of a second, finally said, "When I found myself, I realized the truth. I am a protector and always will be, but I am no ruler. With respect, Father, exalted emperor of Tamaran, I am not worthy of sitting on that throne. I would rather have your love and the love of my people than risk changing for the worst."

Everyone present, even Jennifer and Nightwing looked stunned. Intent to diffuse any potential tension, Starfire spoke on. "I do not say this as an act of defiance. I will always be here for my people, but my heart is calling me back to Earth, my second home. That is where I truly belong."

The Emperor of Tamaran was still looking very surprised by what she was saying. "Please, I wish for you to understand. Take heart in what I say next. Though I leave Tamaran, Tamaran will never leave me. Wherever I go, I wish for your love to come with me. Is that not a reasonable request to ask of you? Wherever I go, I wish for you to be proud of me."

There was a long minute of silence. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting for the Emperor of Tamaran to finally speak. Finally, he brought his gaze back on Starfire. At first, his eyes looked cold, but then they softened and his mouth curled into a warm smile.

"You have already made me proud, my daughter. Wherever you go, I have no doubts you will do it again."

At a loss for words, Starfire flew over to her father and wrapped him in a tight embrace. When she released him, his smile remained warm. "Thank you, Father. I am most thankful for your understanding."

"If there is anything you have reminded me of, it is that we must walk our own paths and forge our own destinies. I am grateful to you for this, and I know your mother would be as well." Looking her in the eyes, which were now shedding some happy tears, he added, "Though you leave us, we will never leave you."

The Emperor of Tamaran motioned for Starfire to be seated again. Then he addressed the room at large. "After due consideration, I have decided to pass a new decree. From now on, when our children come of the age of seventeen, they will be given the choice of going to any planet they wish and learn the customs of another world. This new tradition we shall use to renew old friendships and create new ones."

More applause, but this time the Emperor of Tamaran cut it off. "Our princess, when she arrived on the planet Earth, she undoubtedly had no idea she would be starting something revolutionary for our people. Once more, we shall use her example to better our society. Now I say this: hail my daughter, Koriand'r, who from on shall be remembered by another name. Hail my daughter, princess of Tamaran. Hail Starfire!"

The applause that followed was louder than ever.