Chapter IX

A/N: We all love our snek boy Xerxes.

The two hug for what felt like a long while, Drace then places his daughter down and bent down on one knee and places his hands on her face, "Oh Melani, are you okay? Did anybody hurt you?" He frantically asks

She simply sniffles and nods her head, "Yeah. I-i thought you were dead. You didn't come to look for me for a week!"

"I'm here now, aren't I?" He said with a smile.

She nods with a soft smile, she wraps her hands around her father. He smiles as his hands grasp her curls of hair, he's happy to be finally reunited with her daughter.

It was the evening when the group decided to set up a campfire in a secluded forest — Luckily their dragons managed to cover the glow from the fire from enemies nearby.

"I wonder, Miss Hansson." Alisha spoke. Sage looks up at the former queen Alisha from working on her arrows, "How did you claim a dragon like Malaka?"

"Well it wasn't easy." She chuckles while patting her dragon. "Let's just say we met at the beach, she's exhausted and wounded. I gave her some food and healed her wounds, and just like that we've been bonded ever since."

"Well that's unique," Nina spoke up. "I must say I congratulate you for taming and bonding with the famous elder dragon."

Sage smirks, "Thank you."

For Melani, she sat beside her father with a cup of water in hand — Her father sat beside her as he sharpens his sword, their dragons lay right behind them. "Father." He stops at the sound of his daughter's voice. He turns to eye her. "Yes, what is it darling?"

"What are we going to do now? I mean, war is coming between us and The Hardik's! What are we gonna do?" She asks before sobbing.

"Hey. Hey. Shh." He grasps her back and rubs it in circles.

"Don't worry, young one." Delaney steps in, rubbing her arm. "We'll figure it out."

Melani looks over at the woman in confusion, "Who are you?"

"I am Princess Delaney of Hardik." She responds.

Immediately Melani removes herself from her father's waist and grabs her sword and aims the tip at her, "Easy, my daughter." Drace assures her while placing a hand on the sword and lowering it gently. "She's not like them."

"How do you know?" She asked him.

"She saved me." He responds. "She helped us escape the castle."

His daughter stares at him for a while, silently taking this information in, she nods. "Okay." She placed her sword back into its scabbard.

••°••°••°••°••°

The group huddle close to each other, thinking about the upcoming war that befalls them. Everyone was quiet, the only sounds were the cracking of the fire as it licks the logs and the sound of snores coming from the dragons.