Nine

Meagan stared at the closed door. Pete never stormed off like that before. At least not without telling her why. This had to be because of Patrick.

She circled around to glower at the young boy. He was going to ruin the perfect life she'd planned for her and Pete. But then again, it wasn't his fault. Pete was right. He practically died. To Patrick, no time had passed. It wasn't fair to him. Of course he still wanted Pete. Of course he still didn't like her. He didn't know how much everything changed.

"What happened?" She asked him.

"We had words." Patrick curtly replied.

This was all Meagan's fault. Meagan and that damn baby. He and Pete were going to have the perfect life. Why did that fucking car have to glitch? He'd warned Pete about buying those foreign, expensive cars.

"Patrick." Meagan sighed walking over to him.

She placed her hand on his shoulder. Patrick resisted the urge to shrug it off. She was so fake. From her newly highlighted hair to the Versace socks she was wearing.

"What?"

"I-I know how you feel."

"Do you?"

"I do." He placed her hand over her chest and nodded solemnly. As if that made it seem more sincere. "You still love Pete. It feels like just yesterday to you. But to Pete it was almost two years ago Patrick. He's moved on to better things. He's happy."

Would he go to jail for hitting her?

"Thank you, Meagan. That really helped." Why the hell was her hand still on him?

"And I know you probably hate me. I'd hate me too if I were you."

"I'm glad you understand-"

"Because I know what it looks like." She interrupted him. "This beautiful, natural model just came in and swooped up your husband."

"That's not exactly how I see it-"

"But that's not how it happened. It took a long time for Pete and I to connect this way. And he's really changed me. I'm not the bitch I once was, Pat."

"Don't call me Pat."

"Sorry. I-I just want you to know that the Meagan you used to know is dead."

He wished the Meagan he was looking at right now was dead. She hasn't changed. She was still the same self centered, manipulate person she was before. She was trying to manipulate him right now. If anything, she'd gotten worse.

"I'm happy to hear that, Meagan."

"Thank you." She smiled. Pulling him into a hug. Well, the best hug she could manage with that stomach. "I really want us to be friends."

"I-"

"Can we just try to be friends?"

"Okay."

As if. There was no way in hell Patrick was going to even consider being friends with that bitch. But he could use her to his advantage. Maybe he could have her out of the house quicker than he thought...

"Thank you! I was just going to finish breakfast. And since Pete isn't here, would you like to eat with me?"

No. No. No. There is nothing he wanted less. "Sure."

The remainder of his day was spent being suffocated by Meagan.

After breakfast she wanted them to watch movies together. Of course all the movies she picked were terrible. But Patrick watched them anyway.

And then she showed him the changes she'd made to the house. The nursery being put in. The tacky furniture in the sitting room. The horrible paintings on the halls. Where the hell were all his paintings?

She made them lunch around three. Some shity salad that Patrick pretended to love. When she turned her back, he spit it into his napkin.

She helped him fix his new room up after that. And Patrick just wanted to get the hell away from her. What the hell was she gaining by pretending to be his friend?

But of course he didn't say any of that. He wanted to earn her trust. He needed her to think they were friends in order to destroy her.

Pete still wasn't back by dinner time. Meagan was clearly bothered. But she tried to pretend it was normal behavior for him.

"He's always working late." She told him. Fucking liar.

"That must suck for you."

"He always makes up for it." She winked

Patrick almost vomited in his mouth. Which might not have been too bad. It would probably taste better than this food.

"I'm sure he does." He stood up from the table. "I'm actually stuffed, Meagan. I just don't have the appetite I used to."

"Oh I understand." She stood too. "I'll walk you to your room."

Patrick nodded. Meagan stayed by his side the entire way up the stairs. Occasionally smiling at him. God, when did she become such a creep?

Patrick could have danced for joy when she finally said goodnight and he closed the door. How did Pete find that enticing? She was a leech.

Minutes after Patrick laid down on his bed, he heard Meagan's voice. At first he thought he was losing his mind. He thought that he'd spent too much time with her and now she was forever stuck in his head. But then he realized she must be out in the hall somewhere. On the phone.

"And you didn't think you should have warned me that you'd be gone all night?" She hissed.

She must be talking to Pete.

"Of course I was worried!"

She was silent for a while.

"Actually, he isn't so bad. It won't be terrible having him here."

Patrick could have laughed.

"Well when will you be home? What do you mean whenever? Hello? Pete?"

Patrick smiled. He hadn't even been here for twenty four hours and their relationship was already skating on thin ice. He could sleep easy tonight knowing he was destroying a marriage that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Patrick could feel his eyelids getting heavier with each minute passing. After sleeping for almost two years, he didn't think he could even get sleepy anymore.

Right before he dozed off into a dream, he felt his bed shift under new weight. It didn't take a genius to realize it was Pete.

He cuddled into the back of him and wrapped his arms around his waist. Pulling Patrick closer to the body he missed so much. He didn't question why Pete was here in his bed instead of with his wife. He was just happy he was.

"Pete?" He whispered sleepily.

"Hmm?" The deep voice answered back. Patrick could feel the rumbling of his chest against his back when he did.

"I-I don't hate you."

He was silent for a few second before whispering back. "I know."

"I just said that because-"

"Shhhh." Pete kissed the back of his head. Patrick sighed. "Go to sleep."

So he did.