Fourteen

"Patrick you look... Whoa." William smiled.

"Thanks. You look whoa too."

He laughed. "Thanks right back."

He pulled Patrick's chair back. Patrick sat down and he pushed it to the table. Then he took his own seat. Staring at Patrick from across the table. Smiling like he always seemed to be.

"You're always smiling." Patrick's brow furrowed.

"I have a lot of reasons to be happy."

"I wish I had your mindset."

"Hello, I'm Ashlee, and I'll be your waitress for today. Would you like to hear our specials?"

"No." William shook his head. "I want a veggie burger with enough ketchup to drown a small human. And waffle fries. Please."

"Okay." She wrote it down. "And you?"

Patrick frowned at the menu. Not to seem snobby, but he couldn't remember the last time he ate at a diner. Or any place that wasn't five star. The only time he didn't order off of a foreign menu was when they had pizza or Meagan's shitty food.

"I uh, I want the same thing. Without all the ketchup."

"And to drink?"

"Sprite."

"Iced tea with lemon." Patrick said.

She nodded and walked off. William turned his gaze back on Patrick. Patrick smiled.

William was wearing all black today. Black jeans, black T-shirt, leather jacket. Even the beanie he was wearing was black. The only thing non black were his red shoes.

"I'm glad you came."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "I've been stood up a few times.

"Really? Why?"

William bit his lip and glanced down shyly. "I don't know."

"I would never do that."

"So what do you do, Patrick?"

"I, uh, I used to paint. I mean I do paint. Actually, I don't know if I can even paint anymore."

"I'm confused." William admitted.

"Oh I'm sorry." Patrick laughed in spite of himself. "I was in an accident about two years ago that left me comatose. I woke up a few days ago."

William's eyes widened. And for the first time, he wasn't smiling. Patrick muttered a curse. Too much too soon.

"I-"

"No, I'm sorry. That was a lot to take in. I shouldn't have-"

"I'm glad you're alive." He was smiling again.

"I'm glad you're glad I'm alive."

"So you were a painter?"

"Yes."

"And you don't know if you still are?"

"Exactly."

William leaned forward as if he were about to reveal some huge secret. Patrick found himself leaning forward too.

"I bet you can still paint your ass off."

"Really?"

"You look like you're great with your hands." He grinned.

And damnit, Patrick blushed.

"T-Thank you."

"I say we go see if you can paint."