Nineteen

"I'm here to see Pete Wentz."

"And you are?"

The receptionist stared at him disapprovingly. He was dressed in a floral, button up and white jeans. His cardigan was cerulean and so were his shoes. He could see why she was skeptical that someone like him would be allowed to see someone like Pete.

"His husband."

"Excuse me?"

"I said-"

"Patrick?"

He turned to see Ryan rushing towards him. He was wearing a suit. An actual plain, black suit. Black tie and everything. It looked so boring. So unlike Ryan.

"Hey Ryan."

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see Pete."

"You know this man?" The woman asked Ryan.

"Yes, Lana, I know him."

"And Mr. Wentz knows him?"

"Yes, this is his husband."

"But- I- and Mrs. Wentz-"

"Come with me, Patrick."

Patrick followed Ryan through the office building. They stopped at the glass elevators. Patrick glanced at Ryan again. He was tapping his foot impatiently as they waited for the doors to open. He even acted like a businessman. Important and impatient. It was funny if you knew the real Ryan. Total opposite of this man.

"You look nice." Patrick muttered.

"Fuck you." Ryan grinned.

"Is this the Ryan I never get to see?"

"This is the Ryan no one gets to see. We had an important meeting with the head of a technology company from China."

"So you had to dress up?"

"Yes. Pete and I usually don't come into this office at all. We usually work from his office at home-"

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open. Ryan motioned for Patrick to get on first and then he did the same. He pressed the button for the top floor. Of course.

"Where were you headed before you saw me?" Patrick asked.

"Home."

"Work day over so early?"

"No. Lunch break."

"Lunch break?" Patrick glanced at his watch. "It's not even twelve."

"I'm the boss under the boss."

"But why-"

"Brendon's horny." He said almost too quickly for Patrick to hear. Almost.

"And what? You're just going to leave work and- and-"

"Yes." He smiled. Staring straight ahead. "And."

"Wow." Patrick shook his head comically. "That's a bit much."

"It's just Brendon." He shrugged.

"Do you ever question it?"

"Question what? Being with him?"

"Yeah. I mean he's my best friend, and I'll kill you if you hurt him, but does it ever overwhelm you? I know he can be a bit... Overwhelming."

Ryan shook his head. "Brendon is a few steps above overwhelming. He is the most difficult man I've ever met. The most difficult person. He's moody. He's childish. He's stubborn. He's needy. He's-He's Brendon. And I've never loved anyone more in my entire life."

"Aw-"

"He's the only person I've been with that hasn't bored me. Even though it's been years. It's always something new with him. Something as small as him randomly wearing lipstick or as big as him breaking his leg trying to be America's Next Top Ballerina." Ryan laughed at the memory. "He's a regular, decorated emergency."

"That sums him up pretty well actually." Patrick laughed.

"I'm just not me without him." He laughed again. "I sound like an idiot."

"No." Patrick sighed. "Y-You sound like Pete used to sound when we pillow talked."

Ryan's face saddened. "He still feels that way, Pat. He's just confused."

"Sure he does."

"You were gone, Patrick."

"Yeah, and now he loves someone else."

"Not nearly the way he loves you."

"He married her."

"He was lonely. He was trying to use her to fill the void from you."

"They have a baby-"

"Done with his dick. Not his heart."

"Ry-"

"Look, Patrick, I'm his best friend. I've known him forever. So I know what he's feeling. Sometimes before he even feels it. And that means I know exactly how destroyed he was while he watched you in the hospital."

"I get what you're trying to do, Ryan. And I appreciate it. But I know-"

"You had your turn." His voice wasn't as soft as it was before.

"What?"

"You've had your turn to be broken. And Pete stayed and fixed you. Now it's his turn to be broken. So are you going to keep sitting around bitching about shit? Or are you going to get the fuck on and fix my best friend?"

"I-I'm going to fix him."

Ryan smiled. "Good."

The elevator dinged to a stop. The glass doors opened slowly.

"That was a long elevator ride." Patrick peered.

"It had to be written that way in order for our conversation to be completed before you got to the office."

"What?"

"What?"

"I don't know. You just said-"

"I said Pete's office is this way." Patrick shook the confusion from his head as he followed Ryan. They stopped in front of the large, French style door. "This is it."

"Thanks, Ry."

"No problem. I would go in with-" The shrill sound of his phone ringing interrupted. He glanced at the name and answered. "I'm on my way." He smirked. "I was helping Patrick." He paused. "I'm coming." He began rushing back to the elevator. Patrick could have sworn he heard him whisper. "How'd it get stuck there?!"

Patrick didn't hesitate to push the heavy door open. When he did he saw Pete sitting at the desk. Meagan was sitting on top of the desk, staring down at him. Smiling. They both turned to glance at him when the door opened.

Pete's hand snatched away from where it was resting on her knee. Meagan smirked smugly at him. A dark look on her face. The kind of look that said, gotcha.