Day One

❝ He failed charms that year

He failed charms that year.

── •✧• ──

Vienna would never admit it, but she will forever remember her brother's proud expression as she got sorted into Gryffindor, the house of lions and bravery. She also wouldn't admit the confusion followed by guilt she felt as she wondered why she got into the house of courage. She had never been courageous, that had always been Cardan. Defying the rules and doing whatever he wanted without fear of consequences. Vienna was the total opposite.

When Cardan had explained the houses during his first year of Hogwarts, when Vienna was eight, she had always suspected she would be Hufflepuff. It seemed so much like her, honesty, kindness. But now? Vienna wasn't sure.

The day of the sorting she had went to bed under a dark red blanket, with dark red pyjamas, staring at the dark red drapes around her bed. She woke up a few hours later, too nervous to sleep in preparation for her first official school day at the place she had been dreaming of her entire life.

She had gotten dressed and packed her books two hours before breakfast would start. With time to spare, she went down to the common room, marvelling at the decorations. It was all so surreal. She would definitely send a letter to her parents today, detailing her sorting, the train ride and everything in between. She couldn't wait to get her words of excitement out on paper since she was yet to talk to someone of her own age.

"You're up early." Said a voice.

Vienna spun around, heart racing in her chest. Why? She wasn't sure. It's not like she was caught doing something she wasn't. She merely wasn't expecting a single soul other than herself to be down here.

"I'm Lorelei."

Lorelei had silky dark hair which fell down in soft waves, dark mahogany eyes which contrasted against her tan skin. She must've been a few years older than Vienna, maybe a fourth or fifth year?

"Hi." Vienna said quietly, entranced by the girls beauty. "Sorry.... I didn't know anyone else was up yet... I can go if you want–"

"Nonsense!" Lorelei exclaimed. She gestured to the spot on the sofa next to her. "Come, sit!"

Vienna reluctantly moved to the sofa, sitting down on the soft cushion. Her eyes travelled to the dying embers of the fire before moving to Lorelei who observed her with a smile.

"How are you finding Hogwarts?" She asked, bringing her knees up to her chest and placing her chin on them. It made Vienna feel like she was an animal at the zoo, being stared at by people who didn't actually care about anything other than their own entertainment.

"It's good. It's nice." Vienna answered, pursing her lips. She shifted awkwardly on the cushion, playing with a loose threat in the end of her sleeve.

Lorelei chuckled. "Just good? Just nice? Come on, tell me what you really think. Also, I didn't catch your name."