The Return

January 7th 2010

When Stiles gets home after going out to get groceries, he finds himself shocked. Because sitting on the armchair across from Matt is their mother. She's smiling and talking with Matt like she hasn't been MIA for heaven knows how long.

"Stiles. It's good to see you." His mother, Kelly, greets him.

"I...I need to go put the food away." Stiles says before walking towards the kitchen.

"You could at least give me a hug first!" His mother calls out.

"And you could stop leaving your children behind for men that don't deserve you." Stiles whispers to himself before placing the shopping bags down turning around and going back to give his mom a hug.

"That's more like it. So, how have you been? Still top of your classes?" She inquires.

"Yes...well except for PE. Matt's first in that." Stiles informs.

"Oh my boys so smart and strong. I couldn't be prouder." Kelly smiles happily.

It used to anger Stiles that his mother would boast about them as if she had any hand in it. Like she was the one to raise them and not like they were basically raising themselves. Now though, Stiles has gotten over the anger. Theres no point in it, she's not going to change, he's just apathetic about the whole thing now.

"You both going to school today?" Their mother questions.

"It's a Saturday mom. We have work. The Grill is hosting a...what's it called again?" Stiles asks Matt.

"Bachelor raffle." Matt informs.

"Right, for charity. So it's all hands on deck." Stiles states.

"A bachelor raffle? Anyone good going to be up for offer?" Kelly asks.

"Mom." Matt sighs.

"What, I'm just curious." She shrugs with a coy smile.

"So, where have you been?" Stiles inquires.

"Ah, you know, her and there. Never one place too long. You know Pete." Kelly says.

"No, actually we don't. Because you never brought him around." Matt reminds.

"So blonds the new flavour of the month, huh? So sorry I scared her off." Kelly apologises to Matt.

"What?" Stiles questions.

"Caroline was over." Matt answers him before turning to their mother, "She's not a flavour, mom. I like her."

"So she's the one?" Kelly asks mockingly.

"We're teenagers, mom." Stiles points out. "The likelihood of Caroline being the one is low. But they are very cute together."

"Mattie, seriously. Lezzie Forbes' daughter? Ick." Kelly fake shudders.

"Mom, seriously knock it off." Matt scolds.

"Have you...have you heard from Vicki at all?" Stiles inquires.

"No, but don't worry. She'll come home eventually when she needs something. I played that game." She says, brushing off Stiles' concern.

"Are you playing it now?" Matt asks and Stiles has to look away to hide the smile that threatens to overtake his face.

"No." Kelly answers glibly.

"Then what are you doing home?" Matt questions.

"Are you trying to say I need a reason to come back?" Kelly asks back.