The Great Escape

Dad said I'll know when the smuggler gets here, so I guess I just have to be ready.

It got pretty late, but I had a case all ready, and made sure I had a big dinner.

I nodded off on my chair in my room.

"My darling.." I hear a woman speak softly.

"You need to hurt them." she spoke again, maintaining a pleasant tone..

"Make them suffer.

Make them beg for their deaths.." She gradually became more sinister.

"Burn them.

BURN THEM ALL."

I awoke suddenly, but to a distinctive smell.

Smoke.

I shot up from the seat, and the whole upper half of my room was covered in thick, black smoke.

I crouched down, looking around the room to find the source.

I grabbed my bag and then ran to the doorway.

Oh no.

"DAD?!" I shouted.

The fire engulfed the whole of the downstairs space.

"DAD!!" I screamed, now getting desperate. 

I coughed from the smoke, and then ran down the stairs to see if he was hiding anywhere.

No...

Dad.

I could see him, sat on his rocking chair.

He was on fire.

He was gone.

An oil lamp burst close to me from the heat and flames roared towards me.

I screamed as burning oil sprayed in my face, and I sprinted towards the front door. As I opened it, there was a huge explosion, projecting me outwards onto the grass in front.

I turned to look at my home, and it was just a massive fire ball.

He had no chance.

I collapsed my head on the grass and cried.

Everything is gone.

I closed my eyes while my tears fell down my cheeks.

.

My eyes flicked open.

Someone's here.

I move to sit up and I suddenly feel a hand cover my mouth, and a sack tightened over my head.

I tried to fight them off, but then I felt a hand tighten the head sack.

"Stop fighting. I'm sorry about your father." A female voice spoke, and I instantly stopped moving.

"Are.. you the smuggler?" I asked openly, and she didn't respond, but I assumed my guess was correct.

I was carried onto a cart, and then heard a horse move off.

"Is the sack really necessary?" I spoke, breaking the silence.

No response.

"Where am I going?" I ask again.

Nothing.

"Who burned my house down?" I whispered, suddenly feeling overcome with emotion.

"My dad is dead. I never got to say goodbye to him." I then break down, and the smuggler places a hand on my back.