Nie Huaisang, matchmaker extraordinaire

Lan Xichen’s day had been going fantastic so far.

He had been able to avoid a boring meeting with Sect Leader Yao at the last second, his favorite food had been served for lunch and he had managed to sneak a few delightful kisses with Nie Mingjue, who was visiting for a few days, behind the Hanshi, while his shufu was busy teaching at the Lanshi.

And if his forehead ribbon had been a bit a bit crooked when Lan Qiren had come back to the Hanshi a while later, the latter hadn’t commented on it, which was even better.

Yet, as of now, Lan Xichen hid his smile behind his cup of tea, his cheeks rosy still as he was thinking about the fact that he was supposed to meet Mingjue at the cold spring later, before he glanced at his uncle.

The latter was unusually silent today.

Not that the two of them usually talked when they were eating, since talking while eating was prohibited in the Cloud Recesses, but Lan Qiren currently had a strange expression on his face and Lan Xichen truly wondered what this might mean.

His shufu seemed somewhat pleased. Happy, even…Which was slightly odd.

Lan Xichen quirked an eyebrow at him. ‟Shufu, you seem well today.”

Lan Qiren tilted his head in his direction, taking a sip of his tea before he placed his cup back down on the low table. ‟I’ve learned an excellent news today. ”

Lan Xichen nodded slowly, before he waited patiently for his uncle to tell him more.

Of course, Lan Qiren made him wait for a few more seconds as he sat more comfortably on his heels. ‟An arranged marriage has been decided today.”

Lan Xichen paused what he was doing for a second, his cup barely a breath away from his mouth. ‟An arranged marriage?”

‟Yes, between the Jiangs and the Jins,” Lan Qiren continued, sounding somewhat smug.

Lan Xichen frowned even more. ‟I thought it was already well known among the cultivation world that Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan were getting married next summer?”

‟Xichen, their arranged marriage has been annulled today, ” Lan Qiren declared, smiling. ‟No, the upcoming nuptials will be between Wei Wuxian, the Jiangs' first disciple, and Jin Zixing, a cousin of Jin Zixuan.”

Quickly, Lan Xichen took a sip of tea to hide his surprise.

This was unexpected. And yet, it truly was no wonder then if his uncle looked so happy right now.

After all, he too had probably realized that the fact that Wangji was spending so much time in his room playing the qin and composing what obviously was a love song might be related to Wei Wuxian by now.

Lan Xichen groaned internally.

Forget about having a fantastic day or making out with Mingjue after dinner; he would need to break his beloved didi’s heart first…

♬♩♪♩

‟Wei-xiong, this truly is horrible,” Nie Huaisang replied, an unhappy expression marring his beautiful features. ‟Disastrous, even.”

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes as Wei Wuxian nodded frantically in his best friend’s direction. ‟I knew you would understand the seriousness of the situation. I mean, how dare they match me with a Jin?”

‟Indeed,” Nie Huaisang agreed as he slowly fanned himself.

‟And a man too,” Wei Wuxian commented, his cheeks burning as Nie Huaisang stopped fanning himself for a second.

‟Wei-xiong, there’s no need to look ashamed about the fact that your uncle has agreed to marry you to a man,” Nie Huaisang said with reassurance as he tapped Wei Wuxian’s shoulder with his fan. ‟I already know that all Jiangs are bisexual by now,” he added smugly as he turned around and he began to pace around the room once more.

‟The fuck?” Jiang Cheng all but screamed, face red, as Wei Wuxian burst out laughing.

Until he remembered that he was supposed to marry a Jin in a few months time.

Which truly was no laughing matter.

Not at all.

At least, he had sought the help of the right person and Nie Huaisang already had a plan.

After all, if there was one thing Nie Huaisang despised above all, it was when someone tried to thwart his brilliant matchmaking plans.

How dare the Jiangs and the Jins come in between him and the blessed happiness of the couples he was about to match together?

It was obvious that Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were made to be together!

Nie Huaisang shook his head, before he turned around, trying to look more dramatic than ever as he carefully hid his mouth behind his fan. ‟Wei-xiong, fear not! I will solve this in no time,” he said with confidence.

And it was the truth.

He, after all, was a professional.