The Council (Part 2)

"I'll do it," said Yoo Jin. "I'll take the exam."

The man blinked and gazed at him, lids lowered into a menacing stare, before turning away without acknowledging his words.

"When is the next examination?" asked Tae Hyun.

For a while not a single one of the council members answered him.

"In three days time," Chief Tak responded and Tae Hyun turned to her.

"That's hardly enough time to prepare."

"Nor will there be enough time to prepare weapons for him. He'll have to go in barehanded."

"Then it is pointless for him to even take the exam. Its entire purpose is to determine his class."

Chief Tak did not respond and neither did any of the other councilmen.

"Then I propose we wait for the next cycle," Tae Hyun said.

"I'm afraid the teachers and students will all object," said the alpha in red. "It is either now and he uses this opportunity to prove himself or forgo it all."

Yoo Jin briefly wondered if that was true. How would the other students even know of his presence?

Tae Hyun opened his mouth to respond when Yoo Jin placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping his words. "I'll do it," he said.

Tae Hyun looked at him for a moment and it looked as though he would argue before closing his mouth. Yoo Jin returned his gaze to the others and was surprised to find Chief Tak again looking at him with startling clarity.

"It is incredibly dangerous, a few have even lost their lives in there. And you, an omega, still wish to do it?" said the councilman in blue. It was the first time he had addressed him or even acknowledged his presence in the room.

"I..." He blinked. "Yes, I do."

The imposing man looked at him for a moment in silence. "Brave or stupid, I don't know which."

"And what of an accidental heat?" said the councilman in red to Tae Hyun.

"I'm not easily affected by alpha pheromones."

But he did not turn to him and instead continued to look at Tae Hyun for an answer.

Tae Hyun met his eyes. "Did you not hear him?"

The council looked at Tae Hyun with what Yoo Jin swore was hatred before turning to face him. "You said you are not easily affected but that does not mean you are wholly unaffected. Are you willing to take the consequences of being surrounded by alphas?"

Yoo Jin met his eyes straightforwardly. "I am sure I can handle it," he said. "It wouldn't be my first time dealing with one."

"He is much older than the other students. He may pose as a liability."

"Considering that you are sending him in without training," said Tae Hyun. "I suppose he probably will."

The councilman glared at him but did not protest his words. Suddenly, he smiled and again Yoo Jin felt a chill run down his spine. "Are you then willing to take the consequences of what may happen to him and happen because of him inside the dungeon? Would you be willing to give up your own future seat upon this council?"

Yoo Jin turned to Tae Hyun who had grown silent. This wasn't part of their agreement. He was supposed to simply get Yoo Jin into the Academy and trained as a hunter. Yoo Jin had thought it was a simple enough task. After all, if omegas from good families could go to top prestigious universities, founded by and for alphas, why couldn't Yoo Jin, an omega with the ability to wield mana, the one requirement for a wizard, backed by a son of the Mirae Group not attend a school meant for wizards who, until recently, all happened to be alphas?

Yoo Jin felt uneasy. Tae Hyun wasn't supposed to sacrifice anything, in the original agreement between them, there was no true risk for him. They hardly knew each other, they hardly liked each other, if at all, and now they were asking him to risk something, something that seemed important. And this alpha was an honorable fool...

"For what reason would he have to give up his seat?" said Chief Tak and surprised, Yoo Jin turned to face her.

The councilman in red shrugged. "We're willingly risking the lives of the other test takers and the reputation of the Academy because of a request from Moon Tae Hyun, the son of the Mirae Group. The least he can do is put his own chips into the pile."

If it hadn't been clear before, it now struck Yoo Jin that these councilmen were setting him up for failure. They didn't want him at the Academy, weren't curious at all about an omega wizard, didn't think, even if it turns out to be true, that much would come out of it simply because he was an omega. The conditions they were placing upon them were superficial, the supposed danger they claimed Yoo Jin would pose could have been avoided by simply training him.

He pressed his arm against Tae Hyun's, tapping it twice with his own until the alpha turned to look at him.

"Don't do it," Yoo Jin whispered. It wasn't worth it, hell, was Tae Hyun even certain that he was a wizard in the first place? He wasn't even certain of it himself despite Tae Hyun and the doctor's insistence. He might end up going into this examination thing– he didn't even know what it was. And losing his life or getting someone else killed. That certainly wasn't worth it, not when he had Eun Ha to take care of, and now to also force Tae Hyun to risk his seat on the council....

"I agree to the terms," said Tae Hyun.

With wide eyes Yoo Jin whipped his head around to look at him. "Are you crazy?" he whispered.

But Tae Hyun's gaze was still on the men before them. His head held high and his demeanor unfazed.

"But in return," Tae Hyun continued, "if he does succeed, I want him to be immediately entered into the Academy and into my party, not as my omega but as a full fledged hunter."

Yoo Jin's eyes grew wide. What was this alpha trying to do? How could he possibly agree to those conditions when all he would get out of it was some stabilization of his hormones which any omega could give him? Was Yoo Jin missing something? Was there something important Tae Hyun hadn't told him? Why would he risk something seemingly important to get him into the Academy and his party thing.... Or was this just some kind of stupid pride, nobility thing he was displaying?

Master Jo laughed. "What is wrong with you, Tae Hyun?" he said as though his words were merely a joke. "An omega, a hunter in the elite group? That is the funniest thing I think I've ever heard."

Tae Hyun did not respond. "He has three days to prepare, I'd like at least one instructor to assist me."

"Impossible —"

"I will train him," said Chief Tak and all pairs of eyes immediately turned to look at her.

"But Chief Tak, your responsibilities and the meetings with the stakeholders–" said the councilman in green. It was the first time he spoke and Yoo Jin turned to look at him. He was bespectacled and undeniably the oldest in the council, his head entirely covered with white hair and his face covered in wrinkles.

"I will manage my own responsibilities. If I have no objections, I do not see why the council should."

Silence.

Yoo Jin looked around at the men sitting atop their podium. A few of them were staring down at Tak with expressions that couldn't quite hide their dislike. He peered curiously at them and then at her and then back at them.

This is a school, right? he wondered to himself as he continued to gaze upon their faces.

There was a tension in the air that felt dangerous.

And he wondered yet again if this was a good idea. His plan had seemed simple, thought up on the fly in the room as he listened to the doctor's explanations of mana and wizards. He had just wanted to make money, to take advantage of the situation that was suddenly thrust upon him.

...

Just what had he really gotten himself into?

The Impossible Virgin Omega WizardOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara