41. Let's runaway

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

Dad and I are sitting in the middle of the room. The entrance exam is in half an hour. Looking around me, I only see mothers with their children. My mother couldn't fly out from Italy today, but she promised to be here before I take the scat written exam. Today was only the first part, singing. 

I got discharged from the hospital yesterday morning. I haven't told anyone what happened. My dad is suing the pharmacy that sold us the medicine. He's convinced that they misplaced the drugs which made me sick. Seeing him react like that made me wonder if my suspicion of him was unnecessary and mean. My dad would never do something like that to me.

Maybe it was all a mistake anyways.

"Are you feeling okay" my dad puts a scarf around my throat. "I told the judges to go easy on you. But I can also make some calls and make sure you take it on another day"

"Dad you didn't have to do that, that isn't fair" I drink the hot thee in front of me. "I'm feeling a lot better anyways"

"I just want to make sure you get in with the highest score" he places his hand on my shoulder. "Remember all the things your mom told you. Focus on your hand movements, look alive even if they can't see you directly and sing as if you're in a field of flowers all alone with your own voice"

I smile. "I will"

A woman steps into the room, holding a notebook. Her head scans the entire room as a robot.

"The auditions will begin now for the vocal department. Everyone put your phones away. You aren't allowed to record or take them with you into the audition hall. If you do, this can lead to disqualification"

Everyone puts their phones away. I give mine to my dad.

"Yoo Jeni, to the audition hall"

I turn around and watch how Jeni gets up. She looks very exited. Her dad, Mr Yoo, got back from Dubai a couple of days ago. She hasn't been shutting up about that. But I get her. I wouldn't stop talking about my dad either when he came back from the US.

"Are you ready?" Rona sits down besides me. "Hello, Mr Park"

"Hey Rona" my dad gets up. "I need to make a call. You girls talk"

As he walks off, I look at Rona. "I'm so nervous"

"Me too" she takes my hand and shakes it a little. "What if my voice breaks? What if I throw up from the nerves?"

"You're the winner of the CheongA competition aka the best singer in this school. You don't have to worry" 

She let's out a sigh and nods her head. From the corner of my eye, I can see Seokkyeong looking at us. I turn my head to her, but the second I do that, she walks away. I haven't talked to her in a while. I would understand if she felt upset with me.

"I need to go to the bathroom" I get up. "I'll be right back"

"Hurry before your name gets called!" she shouts while I walk away.

I massage my throat. The nerves are starting to get to my stomach. I walk to the bathroom with a heavy beating heart. Before I can enter, the door of the boys bathroom besides me opens. I look into the eyes of the boy that just walked out. His eyes are red and his expression is fazed.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. "Did something happen?"

"I hate my father" he says. "I hate him so much"

"Your father? Isn't he in jail? What does he have to do with.."