ch ; 07

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒ 07 ༒ ˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -
Unforeseen Slip-up

The sun had barely risen, casting a soft glow through the large windows of NCTECH's headquarters. The briefing room was abuzz with a quiet energy as Gio, the second in command, stood at the front of the table.

Andy, Chen, Rhys, and Hayez filed in, their expressions a mix of curiosity and respect.

"Gather round, everyone," Gio called out, his voice commanding attention. "I have received updates from Joaquin,"

"Boss and Joaquin have had to return prematurely from their three-month mission in Russia," Gio announced, his words met with nods of understanding and concern from the gathered members, who recognized the gravity of the situation.

The announcement from Gio had barely settled when the sound of the garage door opening drew everyone's attention. The team turned as one, their footsteps echoing on the concrete floor as they made their way to the warehouse-like garage area.

Through the open door, a sleek black truck rolled in, its headlights cutting through the dimly lit space. The atmosphere shifted, becoming charged with anticipation as the members waited for their leader and his advisor to emerge.

Joaquin was the first to step out of the vehicle, his presence serious despite his casual demeanor. He was followed closely by Mark, their boss, whose imposing figure exuded authority and power. Despite his intimidating aura, Mark's smile was warm as he greeted his main members, exchanging handshakes and pats on the back.

"It's good to be back," Mark said, his voice echoing through the room. "I trust everything has been running smoothly in my absence?"

The members nodded, eager to update Mark on their recent activities and successes. They spoke of their recent missions, detailing their efforts to expand NCTECH's influence and strengthen their alliances with other mafia organizations.

Mark listened intently, his expression unreadable as he absorbed the information. He then turned to Joaquin, their lawyer, who had been instrumental in their recent endeavors.

"Boss, how did the mission in Russia go?" Hayez inquired, his voice laced with curiosity.

Mark's smile widened, a glint of pride shining in his eyes as he spoke. "It went even better than we anticipated," he replied, his voice carrying a note of satisfaction. "We managed to secure a significant cache of firearms and solidify new trade agreements with our allies."

"However," he continued, his expression faltering slightly, "it had to be cut short due to unforeseen circumstan—"

Before anyone could delve into the details, a sudden, harsh knocking at the front door shattered the jubilant atmosphere. In an instant, the members sprang into action, their years of training kicking in as they swiftly armed themselves and assumed defensive positions.

Gio approached the door cautiously, his hand poised to open it but ready to react at the slightest sign of danger. The knocking persisted, each rap against the door sending a jolt of tension through the room.

"Who's there?" Gio called out, his voice firm and commanding, his senses on high alert.

A voice, faint but unmistakable, responded from the other side. "Rhys! It's me! Meiying!"

Rhys, taken aback by the unexpected visitor, hesitated for a moment, his grip on his weapon tightening reflexively before he recognized Meiying's voice. Lowering his firearm, he turned to Gio, his expression a mix of surprise and caution.