Year 1: September 1989 - August 1990

Finally the day arrived. September 1st 1989. First day of hogwarts. The first day of 7 years of freedom. Or so River thought. 

River woke up early, she was excited to go to hogwarts. She got herself dressed in a black t-shirt, black shorts and red trainers that she had brought when she snuck out of the manner a couple of years ago. This was the only outfit she owned that she was actually comfortable in. Once she was dressed, River snuck out of her room and to the kitchens. The house elves weren’t shocked to see her. River often snuck into the kitchen to get food for her and/or Pansy when the Lord and Lady had forbidden them from eating as punishment. River smiled at them all before making herself a stack of pancakes and golden syrup. It took her about 5 minutes to cook them perfectly but it was worth the wait as they were amazing. After eating her breakfast, River went back to her room to make sure she had everything packed in her trunk for hogwarts. 

“What are you wearing?”

River turned around to find her 9 year old sister standing in the doorway, wearing a dark green dress. “Clothes” River replied and turned back to her trunk. “Mummy’s not going to like that” Pansy’s voice was filled with fear for her sister. “I’m going to hogwarts. I’m going to be free to do what I want. Mother can’t harm me” 

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t know what Pansy”

“Mummy and daddy have eyes everywhere. Even at hogwarts. They’ll know what you do”

“What..”

Pansy was about to speak but she was stopped by the footsteps of their mother. River and Pansy freeze as Lady Parkinson stood in front of them. “Pansy is right. We do have eyes everywhere. Pansy go to your room. We will be dealing with your show of emotions at a later time” Pansy quickly rushes off to her room as Lady Parkinson turns to River. She looks the 11 year old up and down with disgust “I see the training hasn’t fully kicked in. What a shame. You were making so much progress. I truly thought you had become the perfect heiress. Maybe you need one last reminder before you go to hogwarts of what will happen if you ruin our reputation”

“No!”

“What did you just say, young girl?”

“I don’t need a reminder. I… I was just wearing this before I changed into the dress you laid out.”

“You need to work on your lying. However, I am impressed by your sneakiness in trying to get out of this situation. You’ll make a slytherin. You still need to be punished but it won’t be the curse. Hold out your arm”

River shakingly held out her arm and looked away as Lady Parkinson pulled out her wand. “You know the rules, River. Never look away”. River slowly looked back. “I think 5 will be enough”. As soon as she finished her sentence, Lady Parkinson brought her wand down on River’s arm with 5 hard blows, causing a bruise to form. “Now go put the dress on. We are leaving in 20 minutes. Make sure you look elegant” and with that Lady Parkinson walked out of the room. 

River turned to her wardrobe where a slytherin inspired dress is hung up. She sighed before getting changed into the dress. At least the dress had long sleeves to hide her new bruise. The dress was a plain dark green dress that went to her ankles. The dress had silver seams and a silver waistband. She then had to put on these silver shoes. River hated it. She felt so uncomfortable. But she had to deal with it. She had to pretend to be the perfect pureblood heiress so she wouldn’t get hurt.