7th year: September 1995 - August 1996

After a very long and painful summer, 1st September 1995 finally came round. River could finally go back to Hogwarts but this was her last year. Her last year of freedom. But it wasn’t going to be a happy year as she had something she needed to do this year.

River woke up early that morning. Well, that’s a lie.  She didn’t sleep at all that night. She was too worried about everything that would be happening that year. She was also in pain from yesterday’s punishment. Anyway, at about 5am River had enough of trying to relax/sleep so she slowly got up and got dressed into her favourite clothes. A black t-shirt (with the sleeves ripped off), ripped black jeans, black boots and her backwards cap. Once she was dressed, she made sure she had everything in her trunk before limping down to the breakfast hall.

Luckily River was the first to arrive at the hall so she got some time together. Unfortunately, Pansy arrived 10 minutes later. They weren’t allowed to eat until their parents arrived so they sat in silence for a while before Pansy finally talked “are you OK?” River was shocked. Her sister never asks that. “who are you and what have you done with my sister” but as a response to the glare she received, River continued “I’m fine, Pans. Just in a bit of pain” Pansy nods. Silence fell on them again. It was silent for another 3 minutes or so. Then Pansy spoke “thank you for yesterday.  I know what they were saying wasn’t directed at me but ....... still thank you”. River smiles “no problem sis. They deserved it anyway for spouting all that hate speech. People shouldn’t have kids if they are just gonna disown them for being gay or anything like that”. River was going to continue but Lord and Lady Parkinson walked in at that exact moment and sat down at the table. The house elves quickly hand out the food. River and Pansy stay quiet as they listen to their parents gossip about the death eaters.

“Did you see who was missing from the meal yesterday?”

“I did. I wonder what happened to Marcus Slytherin”

“The blood traitor ran away. His father is the saviour and he ran away”

“I heard he was dating a filthy muggle”

“The dark lord should have killed him when he got the chance”

“Did you see how many woman were part of his ranks? Us woman aren’t meant to be fighters. We are meant to be at home with the heirs”

“yes, it’s right that the dark lord as woman in his ranks. Let alone high up in his ranks. He has unmarried heiress in his ranks.”

“at least Heiresss Celestia Malfoy is engaged to be married in two years”

“That is correct. But he has a Weasley girl in his ranks and a demon”

“my dear, the Weasley, Natasha, is a slytherin. She’s Pansy’s friend. She’s on our side. Anyway, you heard last night that she has ran away from the Weasleys and won’t be returning to Hogwarts so she can complete the Lords mission”

At that point River had enough. She excused herself from the meal and went back to her room, still limping. She grabs her trunk and apparites to platform 9 ¾.

Platform 9 ¾ was full of gossip circles, gossiping about everything that happened over the summer.  River tried to ignore the gossip but she couldn’t ignore all of it.

“Did you hear what Dumbledore is saying?

“Did you hear the ministry’s response?”

“Is it safe for the kids to go back to hogwarts?”

“Of course it’s safe Linda. You know who isn’t real. Have you seen him?”

“Dumbledore is getting too old. He needs to retire.”