4th year: September 1992 - August 1993

Summer was soon over and it was time to go back to Hogwarts. River slept in once again but this time her family didn't wait for her, they just left. So when River finally got up and dressed, she had to get the Knight bus to King's Cross Station which was annoying. But hey at least she made it for the train, unlike some people.

At the platform, River notices her family talking with the Malfoy's (minus Sophia who had disappeared). River, not wanting to deal with her family's lectures, stuck by them and headed towards the train. However something caught her eye causing her to freeze. She spotted Eileen Snape kissing Mitch Mccarthy. Mitch was a 2nd year Slytherin who was dating most of his year. Eileen probably didn't even know this. The poor girl.

After getting over the shock, River left the platform and got onto the train. She ended up sitting in a compartment with Emberlyn, Alya and Star. But not long after the train set off, Eileen came and joined them in the compartment. So River decided to use the train ride to warn Eileen about her boyfriend. “Eileen, he isn't a good person. You need to break up with him before you get hurt” but Eileen was having none of it. So River carried on the conversation to the carriages. She still didn't listen. Even when they got to Hogwarts.

As they sat down at the Slytherin table for the sorting, River and Emberlynn were joined by Skylar Slytherin. “Don't you have friends to sit with? Like my sister?” River asked, raising an eyebrow but the 12 year old just ignored her and turned to watch the sorting of the new first years. Professor McGonagall leads the first years into the Great Hall and takes them to the front where she places down a hat on a stool. The hat quickly woke up and started singing.

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The halls filled with clapping and cheers as the hat finished singing. River cheered. Once everyone quietened down, Professor McGonagall pulled out a roll and announce “When I call your name, sit down on the stool to be sorted”

"Lovegood, luna"

A young girl with blonde hair and flower crown skipped up to the stool and sat down as the hat was placed on her head. It didn't take long for the hat to shout

"Ravenclaw!"

Lovegood smiled and skipped over to the ravenclaw table and sat next to Emberlynn’s brother, Evan Black. River had heard about Lovegood before. Her mother had died during River’s 2nd year. No one knows the real reason but everyone knew she was dead. The lovegood family wrote a magazine called the Quibbler and they were seen as a bit weird. River’s family hated the Quibbler so of course River read it.

"Malfoy, Leo"

Leo flinched and slowly walked to the stool. He sat down, shaking under everyone's eyes. Leo was known to be very quiet, shy and flinchy. River had never heard him speak before.