CHAPTER 36 » TIME LAPSE

* * *

Ione walked down the long hallway with some files clutched in her hold. Her hand moved up to her face to push back those stubborn strands of shoulder length hair behind her ears. Her steps were sharp and fast as she was rushing to go see her special patients early this morning.

Dressed in her doctor's sage green scrub, she agreed she wasn't looking her best this morning. And it will be an earful scolding session with both Remy and Prisha if they found that she once again stayed up all night to keep studying. Even after completing her studies three years ago, the same year she defeated her cancer. And the past two years of internship under Remy, Ione never ceased studying.

Having Remy as a mentor made her feel like she always has to keep learning, so when rare cases comes forward, she would be prepared. She loved being a hematologist. She loved nurturing her patients. She loved her new radiant life.

But most importantly, Ione was grateful that she was no longer the same woman who had left South Korea four years ago with no hopes of living, with no hopes of surviving that cancer. She was a broken a woman, but not anymore.

Now, she's anew. Refreshed body, heart and soul. She had a purpose in life and she was currently living that purpose. She achieved her dreams of becoming a doctor that treats cancer. She is working in one of the best health facility that treats cancer worldwide. She was gaining recognition, even though it wasn't a public one, it was much more appreciated.

"Good morning." Ione sang happily as she pushed open the door to the ward where recovering patients were staying. Over the past four years, the facility had kept growing largely, she feared they might have to construct another building for new patients. Remy was not like her, who was a softie. Remy knew when to say no, and when to accept new patients.

But if it was left to her, she would say yes to every patients that walked through those large gates of this facility.

"Good morning, Doctor Kim. You are looking so beautiful this morning." One of the patients who was a young man said to her. He was always throwing sweet compliments her way. And her friends, Prisha and Remy, had pointed out that he has a crush on her.

But Ione being Ione, laughed it off.

She doesn't think her heart can ever open for love again. All she wants to fully dedicate her life to is treating patients with deadly cancer. Especially blood cancer which was her specialty.

"Thank you, Darl. You look quite good yourself." She replied to him.

"Where's Nurse Prisha? I haven't seen her for two days now." An elderly woman asked, she was one of those patients that doted so cutely on Prisha, but she also had slight dementia that makes her forget some information. Because Prisha had informed everyone, especially her patients about her brief travel.

"Prisha traveled back home to Seoul to visit her parents, and she will be coming back in tomorrow with her girlfriend. They will be spending Christmas with us here at the facility. It's going to be a big feast this year." Ione replied, reminding them about their yearly Christmas party.

There was always a cheery activity about two to three times a year for patients to feel jovial. And christmas usually tops it all.

"I can't wait. My daughters got me this beautiful white dress, saying I could dress up as an ice queen." One of the older ladies said with a bright smile on her face.

"You're already an ice queen, Martha. You are always scolding everybody." Ione pointed out, laughing.

"That's exactly what I wanted to say too." Another patient said, causing everyone to chuckle. It was a light and carefree morning. Ione did her round of checkup. She liked doing this morning routine all by herself without a nurse assisting her. It was her own way of bonding with the patients.