Back to Camp

Long story short, we found Grover and Tyson, and witnessed the death of Pan.  After that we made our way back to New York.  Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth.  Still, by the time Rachel got us back to Times Square, I felt like we'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico.  We climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds.  Percy led the way into an alley, where he could get a nice echo.  Then he whistled as loud as he could, five times.  A minute later, Rachel gasped.

Rachel: They're beautiful!

A flock, is that the right word?  I think so.  A flock of Pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers.  Blackjack was in the lead, followed by four of his white friends.  The horse neighed.

Percy: Yeah.  I'm lucky that way.  Listen, we need a ride to camp, quick.

More neighs and the Pegasus that carried Tyson groaned and complained, but he seemed to agree.  Everybody started saddling up, except Rachel and me.

Rachel: Well, I guess this is it.

We nodded uncomfortably.  We knew she couldn't go to camp.  I glanced at Annabeth, who was pretending to be very busy with her Pegasus.

YN: Thanks, Rachel.

Percy: Yeah.  We couldn't have done it without you.

Rachel: I wouldn't have missed it.  I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan...

Her voice faltered.

Percy: He said something about your father.  What did he mean?

Rachel twisted the strap on her backpack.

Rachel: My dad... my dad's job.  He's kind of a famous businessman.

Sarah: You mean... you're rich?

Rachel: Well, yeah.

Percy: So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us?  You just said your dad's name and-

Rachel: Yes.  Percy... my dad's a land developer.  He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land.

She took a shaky breath.

Rachel: The wild.  He... he buys it up.  I hate it, but he plows it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centers.  And now that I've seen Pan... Pan's death-

YN: You can't blame yourself for something shitty your old man did.

Rachel: You don't know the worst of it.  I-I don't like to talk about my family.  I didn't want you guys to know.  I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have said anything.

Percy: No, it's cool.  Look, Rachel, you did awesome.  You led us through the maze.  You were so brave.  That's the only thing I'm going to judge you on.  I don't care what your dad does.

Rachel blushed.

Rachel: Well... if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again... you could call me or something.

Percy: Uh, yeah.  Sure.

She knit her eyebrows.  He didn't really sound unenthusiastic or anything.

Percy: I mean... I'd like that.

Rachel: My number's not in the book.

Percy: I've got it.

Rachel: Still on your hand?  No way.

Percy: No.  I kinda... memorized it.

I snorted and her smile came back slowly, but a lot happier.

Rachel: See you later, Percy Jackson.  Go save the world for me, okay?

She walked off down Seventh Avenue and disappeared into the crowds.

TIMESKIP

We landed in the middle of the cabin area and were immediately met by Chiron, the potbellied satyr Silenus, and a couple of Apollo cabin archers.  I expected him to be surprised by our news of Kronos rising.  I was mistaken.

Chiron: I feared as much.  We must hurry.  Hopefully you have slowed down the Titan lord, but his vanguard will still be coming through.  They will be anxious for blood.  Most of our defenders are already in place.  Come!

Silenus: Wait a moment!  What of the search for Pan?  You are almost three weeks overdue, Grover Underwood!  Your searcher's license is revoked!

I was about to kick his goat ass, but Grover took a deep breath.  He stood up straight and looked Silenus in the eye.

Grover: Searcher's licenses don't matter any more.  The great god Pan is dead.  He has passed on and left us his spirit.

Silenus' face turned bright red.

Silenus: What?  Sacrilege and lies!  Grover Underwood, I will have you exiled for speaking thus!

YN: It's true.  We were there when he died.  All of us.

Silenus: Impossible!  You are all liars!  Nature destroyers!

Okay, I REALLY want to rip the horns off this fat Satyr.  Chiron studied Grover's face.

Chiron: We will speak of this later.

Silenus: We will speak of it now!  We must deal with this-

Chiron: Silenus.  My camp is under attack.  The matter of Pan has waited two thousand years.  I fear it will have to wait a bit longer.  Assuming we are still here this evening.

And on that happy note, he readied his bow and galloped toward the woods, leaving us to follow as best we could.