My Friends Finally Get Together

The rest of the day was as strange as the beginning.  Long story short, Rachel became the new oracle.  I know, it's weird.  Campers trickled in from New York by car, pegasus, and chariot.  The wounded were cared for.  The dead were given proper funeral rites at the campfire.  Silena was forgiven, since she'd done the right thing in the end.  Even Ethan Nakamura was given a shroud.  Black silk with a logo of swords crossed under a set of scales.  As his shroud went up in flames, I hoped Ethan knew he had made a difference in the end.  He'd paid a lot more than an eye, but the minor gods would finally get the respect they deserved.  Dinner at the pavilion was low key.  The only highlight was Juniper the tree nymph.

Juniper: Grover!

She gave her boyfriend a flying tackle hug, making everybody cheer.  They went down to the beach to take a moonlit walk, and I was happy for them.  Mrs. O'Leary romped around happily, eating everybody's table scraps.  Nico sat at the Thanatos table with Alexa and I, and nobody seemed to think this was out of place.  Everybody was patting Nico on the back, complimenting him on his fighting.  Even the Ares kids seemed to think he was pretty cool.  Hey, show up with an army of undead warriors to save the day, and suddenly you're everybody's best friend.  Alexa had been unconscious until the evening, after blowing up Lucas' arm.  She and Lucas were back at the Thanatos cabin right now.  She told me to stay away for a few hours.  Ew.  Slowly, the dinner crowd trickled away.  Some went to the campfire for a sing along.  Others went to bed.  I sat with Sarah and Percy, and watched the moonlight glisten on the Long Island Sound.  We could see Grover and Juniper at the beach, holding hands and talking.  It was peaceful.

Annabeth: Hey.

She slid next to Percy on the bench.

Annabeth: Happy birthday.

She was holding a huge misshapen cupcake with blue icing.

Percy: What?

YN: It's August 18th.  Your birthday, right?

He looked stunned.  It hadn't even occurred to him that he had turned sixteen this morning.  The same morning I'd made the choice to give Luke the knife.  The prophecy had come true right on schedule, and I hadn't even thought about the fact that it was his birthday.

Annabeth: Make a wish.

Percy: Did you bake this yourself?

Annabeth: YN and Tyson helped.

Percy: That explains why it looks like a brick.

YN: HEY!

Sarah started laughing and I playfully punched her in the arm.  Percy thought for a second, then blew out the candle.  We cut it into fourths and shared, eating with our fingers.  Sarah sat next to me, and we watched the ocean.  Crickets and monsters were making noise in the woods, but otherwise it was quiet.

YN: So, we saved the world.

Annabeth: And Rachel is the new Oracle, which means she won't be dating anybody.

Sarah: You don't sound disappointed.

Annabeth shrugged.

Annabeth: Oh, I don't care.

Percy: Uh-huh.

She raised an eyebrow.

Annabeth: You got something to say to me, Seaweed Brain?

Percy: You'd probably kick my butt.

Annabeth: You know I'd kick your butt.

I grabbed Sarah's hand, leading her away from the two.  We hid in the corner of the pavilion and I kissed her on the cheek.  She grinned at me.

Percy: You're laughing at me.

Annabeth: I am not!

Percy: You are so not making this easy.

Then she laughed and put her arms around his neck.

Annabeth: I am never, ever going to make things easy for you, Seaweed Brain.  Get used to it.

Then she kissed him.

YN: FUCKING FINALLY!

Clarisse: It's about time!

Suddenly the pavilion was filled with torchlight and campers.  Clarisse led the way as the eavesdroppers charged and hoisted them both onto their shoulders.

Percy: Oh, come on!  Is there no privacy?

Clarisse: The lovebirds need to cool off!

Connor: The canoe lake!

With a huge cheer, they carried the two down the hill, but they kept them close enough to hold hands.  Both of them were laughing, their faces completely red.  And the two held hands right up to the moment they were dumped into the water.  I nudged Sarah, and she turned to me.

YN: Come on, I gotta tell you something.

I picked her up bridal style, and she squeaked as I took off into the sky.  We landed on Half-Blood Hill, and I smiled at her.

YN: So... there's something I've been meaning to ask.  I promised myself I'd ask when we got through the war.

Sarah looked confused but her eyes widened as I got down on one knee, pulling out a golden ring with a big black diamond on it.

YN: Sarah Wilson, daughter of Ares... will you marry me?

Sarah stared at me in complete shock, before giving me the biggest smile I'd ever seen.

Sarah: Of course!

She threw her arms around me and slammed her lips into mine, kissing me as I wrapped my wings around us.