Luke Redeems Himself

When I broke through the clouds, I found Percy, Grover, and Annabeth at the doors to the throne room.  I landed next to them right as they walked inside.  The doors of the palace were big enough to steer a cruise ship through, but they'd been ripped off their hinges and smashed like they weighed nothing.  We had to climb over a huge pile of broken stone and twisted metal to get inside.  Kronos stood in the middle of the throne room, his arms wide, staring at the starry ceiling as if taking it all in.  His laughter echoed.

Kronos: Finally!  The Olympian Council, so proud and mighty.  Which seat of power shall I destroy first?

Ethan Nakamura stood to one side, probably trying to stay out of the way of his master's scythe.  The hearth was almost dead, just a few coals glowing deep in the ashes.  Hestia was nowhere to be seen.  Neither was Rachel.  I hoped they were okay, but I'd seen so much destruction I was afraid to think about it.  The Ophiotaurus swam in his water sphere in the far corner of the room, wisely not making a sound, but it wouldn't be long before Kronos noticed him.  Annabeth, Grover, and I stepped forward into the torchlight.  Ethan saw us first.

Ethan: My lord.

Kronos turned and smiled through Luke's face.  Annabeth made a painful sound in the back of her throat, like someone had just sucker punched her.

Kronos: Shall I destroy you first, Jackson?  Is that the choice you will make?  To fight me and die instead of bowing down?  Prophecies never end well, you know.

YN: Luke would fight with a sword.  But I suppose you don't have his skill.

Kronos sneered.  His scythe began to change until he held Luke's old weapon, Backbiter, with its half steel, half celestial bronze blade.  Next to me, Annabeth gasped like she'd suddenly had an idea.

Annabeth: Percy, the blade!

She unsheathed her knife.

Annabeth: The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap.

I didn't understand why she was reminding him of that prophecy line right now.  It wasn't exactly a morale booster, but before I could say anything, Kronos raised his sword.

Annabeth: Wait!

Kronos rushed at Percy like a whirlwind.  Percy dodged and slashed and rolled, but I could tell he was struggling.  Ethan ducked to one side, trying to get behind him but Annabeth intercepted him.  They started to fight as I flew into the air watching Percy, ready to step in if he needed me to.  I was vaguely aware of Grover playing his reed pipes.  The sound filled me with warmth and courage, thoughts of sunlight and a blue sky and a calm meadow, somewhere far away from the war.  Kronos backed Percy up against the throne of Hephaestus, a huge mechanical La-Z-Boy type chair covered with bronze and silver gears.  Kronos slashed, and Percy managed to jump straight up onto the seat.  The throne whirred and hummed with secret mechanisms.  Defense mode, it warned.  That couldn't be good.  Percy jumped straight over Kronos's head as the throne shot tendrils of electricity in all directions.  One hit Kronos in the face, arcing down his body and up his sword.

Kronos: ARG!

He crumpled to his knees and dropped Backbiter.  Annabeth saw her chance.  She kicked Ethan out of the way and charged Kronos.

Annabeth: Luke, listen!

I wanted to shout at her, to tell her she was crazy for trying to reason with Kronos, but there was no time.  Kronos flicked his hand.  Annabeth flew backward, slamming into the throne of her mother and crumpling to the floor.

YN: Annabeth!

Ethan Nakamura got to his feet.  He now stood between Annabeth and Percy.  Percy couldn't fight Ethan without turning his back on Kronos.  Grover's music took on a more urgent tune. He moved toward Annabeth, but he couldn't go any faster and keep up the song.  Grass grew on the floor of the throne room.  Tiny roots crept up between the cracks of the marble stones. Kronos rose to one knee.  His hair smoldered.  His face was covered with electrical burns.  He reached for his sword, but this time it didn't fly into his hands.