Chapter 8

A black silhouette stands there holding a picture frame. The tall man notices my interruption and walks a few steps forward toward me, revealing his face in the dim light that reflects from the hallway.
I stand frozen, my hands still holding the knob with a death grip. I can no longer feel my throat. As if this all wasn't bad, my legs started to tremble.
The man gives an evil grin. He has a square face with a strong jaw. A rugged man with buzz-cut hair and multiple scars covering his face.
The alcohol threatens to come out.
He throws the frame on the floor with a loud crashing sound that shooks me off. My hands leave the doorknob and shift swiftly, covering my head, which is the result of my body instinct. Noise so loud to my ears that it provokes tears to fall from my eyes.

"You shouldn't have taken that picture. See what you have done to yourself?" The dry voice screeches in my ears like a fork on a chalkboard.

A sob escapes my mouth.

"Tsk.Tsk.Tsk. If you were so scared, why would you do that to yourself?  Now, be a good lady and hand me the phone. " He brings his hands out demanding.

I met his deadly gaze, and goosebumps rose throughout me.

"Give. Me. The damned. Phone" He bit out.

"Fuck. Off!" I screamed and slammed the door shut. I hear his loud steps reaching. I jolt, my feet moving faster than they ever have. Adrenaline was released for the second time today.
I gasp as a big rough hand grabs my hair and throws me back. Pain arises and I fall on my knees with my face to the floor.
The man is playing with me, he takes heavy steps toward me. The way out is blocked thanks to his fucking giant body.
I stand up and again rush to survive.
I bolt up the stairs, stumbling in the way. I look back to see that guy covering our distance in a few strides. Fuck. The panic reaches every atom that I am made of making my muscles harder to move.
Tears fall with no break and my whole body trembles to survive.
I slam open a door to the bathroom, I don't know how I reached here, My mind turned blank. I lock the door and take steps back until my back touches the marble of the bathroom wall.
My blazing skin makes me uncomfortable.
I hear his footsteps approaching. I hold my head to force myself to think of something.
Phone.
I think this is enough evidence that I would need to prove him being here.
I stride to the corner of the bathroom near a bucket filled with water, my phone turns on, and just then, loud, simultaneously banging on the door starts. The noise is so heavy that my already trembling hand covered in sweat loses its grip on the phone. It slips right through my hand and falls inside the bucket with water.

"Fuck!" I curse to myself and take the phone out.

The banging of the door turns louder, stronger, and faster.

"Come out you little bitch! I won't hurt you! Just give me the phone, then I will leave and give your friend a warm greeting.  Open the door!" He is a fucking psychopath.

He tries to force the door to open, constantly pulling the knobs and banging on the door.
Every part of me trembling,  sweat trickling down my body mixing with the tears.

I slap my phone's back on my hand in a shaking motion, but it won't turn on. I am doomed.
I noticed that the loud banging had stopped. The only thing banging for now is my heart which has reached up my throat.
It's weirdly too silent. I can hear my uneven, shaky breathing. I can hear the weird gulp sound.
I can't waste time thinking about what's going on, I need a way out. I look around, and there are no windows or anything from where I can jump.
Panic is so unsettling that every part of me burns and every part of me cries for help.

Just when I thought things could not get worse, I heard a sound.  It's so light that it's barely audible. I do the daunting task of putting my ears to the door. To listen. To recognize it.
The voice approaches, it's closer. More familiar.
And that's when realization kicks in, and I jolt back.

A fucking chainsaw forces its way through the door with a loud noise.
The man laughs in triumph when I scream at the top of my lungs.
The adrenaline is so strong that I can barely feel anything,  just the heat of my body boiling me.
I keep screaming, but it's useless in front of the sound of the chainsaw moving faster to cut the piece of wooden door to make a way inside for the man.
My eyes threatened to fall off, my heart, ready to jump out, and my skin prepared to burn itself to ashes at any moment now.
I crawl my way to a corner and cover my ears, screaming crying, sobbing, begging that when I open my eyes, I will wake up in my bed. It's just a nightmare.
I hear something fall with a loud noise.
Was that the door?
I don't know anymore.  I am just screaming and shouting with my eyes shut, tears running down and sweat trickling. I have nothing in my knowledge of my surroundings.
I put all the adrenaline I can to try scream louder than the chainsaw, so at least someone will hear me.
The neighbors?  But how will they? when they have left for vacation? Or the neighbour who is too old to hear anything around her?
This is hopeless.
I cry loud. I will die. But at least I fought.
I shrink myself in the corner. Please. Just a nightmare. My alcohol is almost up my throat. I cry and that's all I know.

A bigger hand than mine reaches my hand. Warm hand. Those hands slowly pull my hands away from my ears. The movement was so soft and careful.

"Silvia, it's me" This voice.

I open my eyes to meet the ocean paradise filled with worry, warmth, and care. Relief settles in my stomach. I am so relieved to see him.

"Aesterope" My voice breaks, barely audible. My throat burns as I say his name.

His hand touched my face, the blazing skin melting to the cold skin of Aesterope. Cold yet warm.
I still tremble as I cry and reach for him, my hands wrapped around his neck. One of his hands rests on my head giving it an assuring pat and the other scoops me on the floor making me into a cacoon. Then rests on my back.

I sob and cry on his shoulder. The shivering is still there.

" It's alright now, wine, it's alright. I am here, I am here. You are safe." He whispers softly, and the words settle in.

I am safe. I am safe.

"There-There was a man. He-he brought a chain-chainsaw and..."I stutter as I speak, The adrenaline slowly dying down in his warm embrace. My throat still burns when I speak.

"Shhh. I know, I know. But you're safe now, wine. I am here." He holds me tighter. His heaving chest feels at home.

My chest burns and my heart has finally found its beat.
I struggle to breathe and choke, letting loose rough coughs.
Aesterope rubs my back gently.

"It's okay. Breathe as I breathe, wine." Aesterope takes a deep long breath and releases it slowly. His touch makes me  release all the agony that thrives inside me.

I try to imitate him and fail miserably.

"Good, wine. Good. Keep trying." He encourages me and I do as he says.
Daggers dig into my skin with each breath I try to take.
My whole body aches now that the adrenaline no longer is there. Every part of me is numb but it aches.
I am in no power to even lift a finger.
Aesterope is the only reason why my parts haven't fallen yet. He holds me firmly making sure all my pieces are together.
My trembling has reduced to small shivers. My breathing has become better.
But I am exhausted. My eyes were too heavy.
Aesterope's strong arms assure me that I am safe now. I no longer need to survive. I am alive.

"I'm here. You're safe." He keeps whispering these words that are like honey to my heart.

I sob and sob and slowly stop fighting the urge to close my eyes.
I do not know how Aesterope came here and where that chainsaw man went. But I don't care anymore as long as I feel myself wrapped around Aesterope, safe.
I can ask him tomorrow when my eyes open and I feel alive.
Sleep and exhaustion are taking over my body.

"I'm tired" I whisper with all due energy left within me.

Aesterope pats my head gently "Sleep wine. You are safe now. I won't leave you."

His words calm the burning inches of me and I finally give in to sleep.
I fall into the dark void, letting my body feel all of Aesterope around me and melt into his touch.

I did it.
I fought. I survived. I am alive.
I give a last soft wobbly smile before I lose consciousness.