Chapter 44 | Act 3

•|•  A truth kept secret  •|•

(3rd Person POV)

"Vergil. Let's talk. We didn't manage to talk when Cain hatched. But now I want the truth. The whole truth." Arthur said as he entered Vergil's room.

"Alright. You deserve to know what you need to know, so let's talk." Vergil told him, gesturing for Arthur to sit down.

"You can talk as you wish, I know what you are. One that has been reincarnated like me. King Grey." Vergil told him calmly.

Arthur's already serious expression became even worse as he looked at Vergil cautiously. The energy around the room was palpable, like you could cut it with a knife. They weren't acting this time, they were both showing their true selves: A king and a tyrant.

"How did you know? Did I know you? Who are you?" Arthur questioned him.

"You did not know me in your previous life, I knew because Sylvia showed me your memories." Vergil told him.

"Why would she show you my memories?"

"To help sympathize with you." Vergil replied.

"I know everything that has happened in your life. Everything, down to the thoughts that you had before. She wanted someone to help guide you, mold you to be better. She didn't have to show me your memories, I know how you feel after all. The regrets, the loneliness. I know how it feels to lose that which you loved, losing your way, and becoming a shell of yourself." He added.

Both of them stood silent, Arthur taking in the information given to him. He looked at Vergil's eyes, seeing the emotions that was held in them, he could see himself. This man truly knew what he felt back then. After the deaths of Cecilia and Nico, he felt lost, with only being a king keeping him somewhat alive, as he still had a duty to fulfil as a king. But even then, it could be a trick. He still couldn't trust him yet. The silence ended when Vergil sighed before opening a drawer, in which a single notebook was kept inside. He took the notebook, opening it and reading some of its contents before closing it and giving it to Arthur.

"What's this?" Arthur asked him, looking at the notebook closely.

"Some information that can help you. This is a journal of things that I have found in my journey as an adventurer. You're going to be an adventurer, right? This shall help you with that, it has info on antidotes of certain poisons, weak spots of mana beasts, how to better use mana, and so on." 

"Why would you give me this?" He questioned, as he read the notebook, seeing that he was telling the truth, he closed the notebook.

"I want to show you that I am not an enemy, Arthur. You can still be cautious of me, I won't hold it against you. It's never bad to be cautious of everything. With everything changing, it is best for you to be a bit more cautious." Vergil said. He opened the door and was proceeding to leave until Arthur stopped him to ask one more question.

"Wait. You haven't answered the last one." Arthur asked him.

"Who are you?"

•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•

(A couple days later)

'He still hadn't answered my question. I thought I was getting the whole truth, but instead I was left with more questions, who the hell was he? I still don't trust him, not without having know the full story. But, without him, I don't think I would had survived that encounter with the being that killed Sylvia.' Arthur thought to himself, he just finished training with his beast will, feeling spent from using it for a few seconds, he stopped for the moment as he rested.