Here

KHUSHI

Watching Ruhan sleep is the most peaceful thing. I couldn't tear my eyes away from him; it felt as if even a momentary glance elsewhere would make years slip by.

I sat like a statue for hours, resisting the urge to move, afraid of disturbing Ruhan's peaceful slumber.

As the evening approached, the sun had set, casting a warm glow through the window.

Feeling Ruhan's grip tighten on my arms, I was startled, realizing he must be having a nightmare. Wet tears began to dampen my lap as he stirred in his sleep. With a gentle touch, I brushed the tears from his cheek but they didn't stop.

"No, Khushi... Khushi," he screamed in his sleep, his voice filled with anguish. I jumped in fear, my heart racing at the sound of his distress.

"Ruhan I am here. It's okay", I tried to whisper caressing his back and head.

He screamed again, this time louder enough that Mom, Dad, and Rohan came running into the room. It felt like he was having a panic attack in his sleep due to nightmares. I felt so helpless. I had never seen him like this before.

"I think he is having a panic attack due to a nightmare", I explained frantically, my voice trembling with fear.

Desperate to wake him from his torment, I reached out, shaking his shoulders gently and calling out his name. "Ruhan, please wake up!" I pleaded, my voice thick with emotion. But he continued to thrash and scream, lost in the grip of his nightmares.

"Should I call the doctor?", Rohan asked

"No, it's fine. He used to have these when Khushi got shot. It was go away on its own", his father said trying to wake him up.

I am the reason behind his every suffering.

"Oh beta please wake up", his mother cried.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched him struggle, feeling utterly powerless to ease his suffering.

I gently shook him again, and thankfully, he jolted awake with a gasp, his chest heaving as he struggled to catch his breath.

He hugged his parents tightly, tears streaming down his face, while I watched from behind. I felt immense gratitude for being married to a man with such a pure heart, unafraid to show his vulnerability.

Once he calmed down, he noticed my presence. Turning to look at me, his eyes were swollen and red, a reflection of the turmoil within him. In that moment, I saw my own fears mirrored in his eyes—the fear of losing someone dear.

Having already witnessed me come close to death once, I couldn't fathom the depth of his anguish. All I wanted was to absorb his pain, to shield him from further suffering.

Abruptly, he rose from the bed and vanished into the bathroom, locking the door behind him.

"Ruhan, please open the door," I knocked gently.

"I... I am fine. Just gonna take a shower. Please leave me alone," his faint voice came from inside.

"Okay, I am waiting outside," I said. Mom, Dad, and Rohan knew he just needed some time alone, so they left after a few minutes.

I waited patiently for him to come out of the bathroom. An hour passed, and he still wasn't out.

"Ruhan," I called again. I waited patiently, but no answer came.

"Ruhan, please open the door, you're scaring me," I said, knocking on the door again.

Still no reply. I tried to push the door and surprisingly found it unlocked.