don't want this

KHUSHI

As I stirred awake, the faint murmur of activity from the kitchen pulled me from the depths of slumber. Blinking sleep from my eyes, I glanced around the room, my heart skipping a beat as I realized Ruhan wasn't beside me.

The afternoon sunlight filtering through the curtains hinted at the passage of time, and a surge of panic washed over me as I realized how late it was. Office! The thought jolted me fully awake, my mind racing to catch up with the reality of the situation.

How had I slept so much? The question echoed in my mind, mingling with a sense of disbelief and mild confusion. Hastily, I pushed back the covers and swung my legs over the side of the bed,  a wave of nausea swept over me, catching me off guard.

As I rubbed my chest, trying to suppress the wave of nausea that had caught me off guard, a sudden realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. I glanced at today's date, my heart pounding in my chest as I processed the information before me.

My periods. I missed them this month. Panic surged through me like a tidal wave as the possibility of what missing my periods could mean fully sank in. What if I was pregnant? The thought alone sent my heart pounding. 

As the nauseous waves hit me harder, intensified by the sudden realization of the possibility of pregnancy, I felt my stomach churn with an overwhelming sense of dread.

Frantically, I stumbled to the bathroom, desperation driving me forward. The nausea hit me like a tidal wave, and I doubled over, emptying my stomach into the toilet.

Exhaustion engulfed me as I sank against the cool tiles of the bathroom floor. Tears welled up, blurring my vision, as I fought to steady my breath amidst the overwhelming emotions crashing over me.

 I couldn't help but wonder what Ruhan would think about all of this. Would he be happy? We had discussed the possibility before, and we had agreed to leave it in the hands of fate, trusting in a higher power to guide us.

But now, faced with the reality of the situation, I couldn't shake the fear that he might be overwhelmed or worried. After all, this was a significant and unexpected development that would undoubtedly change our lives forever.

I wiped my tears and stood up. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and went to the kitchen. As I stepped into the kitchen, the comforting aroma of home-cooked food greeted me, mingling with the chatter of voices and the clatter of utensils. Rohan & Ruhan were busy preparing lunch.

Across the room, Mom and Dad sat on the couch in the hall, immersed in a sea of memories as they pored over old photo albums. Their laughter and gentle reminiscences filled the air, casting a warm glow over the room.

Everyone was home today even though it was Wednesday because of me. All of them left their work for me.

I didn't want to face Ruhan but I guess I had no other option.

As I approached Rohan and Ruhan, Ruhan looked up from the meal he was preparing, a warm smile lighting up his features as he caught sight of me.

"Hey, there you are," he greeted me, his voice filled with affection. "Feeling better?"

I nodded, offering a small smile in return, grateful for his concern. Beside him, Rohan glanced up from his task, his expression curious as he caught sight of me.

"Hey," he said, his tone gentle. "You okay?". I nodded yes.

Ruhan picked me up and placed me on the kitchen counter.

"You watch over us, my little one," he murmured, his eyes sparkling with love and reassurance.

"Remember when you challenged me to cook for you?" Rohan chuckled, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes as he glanced over at me. "I do," I replied, my voice tinged with amusement. "Looks like today's the day to see if you can live up to the challenge."