Fourteen, 𝐈𝐧 𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝

"Emily didn't want to want a girl

"Emily didn't want to want a girl."

"You're not dead."

~~~

The lights in Gideon's office were never shut off last night. Erwyna initially intended to shut them off but upon approaching Gideon's office, it was oddly quiet. Spencer was too stuck in his paperwork to notice the bouncy brunette standing in the doorway, so she just left him there.

However, this morning was no different. Being the first agent to arrive besides JJ, Erwyna immediately noticed that the light was still on. It flickered, casting an illuminating light onto a frail mop of brown hair in front of a chessboard.

"Spencer?" Erwyna pinched her eyebrows together as she carried her to-go bag. "What are you doing here?"

Spencer yawned as Erwyna stepped closer, crossing her arms in an affectionate manner before Spencer answered, "Gideon didn't answer his phone. I called him twice. We were supposed to play Chess."

A small frown crept onto Erwyna's face as she lowered her arms. "You know, I would have played chess with you."

"It wouldn't have been the same," Spencer stated as he shook his head.

"Really, boy wonder?"

"Only Derek gets to-"

Erwyna smirked as she attempted to lighten the mood, interrupting Spencer. "Just so you know, I would have kicked your ass."

Spencer smiled briefly before going back to his worrisome demeanor. "He hasn't been back to his apartment since, um..."

"Right." Erwyna nodded as she grasped what Spencer was insinuating before gesturing to the table room. "JJ's about to brief the team, so..."

"Is Hotch here?"

Erwyna shook her head as she began to walk towards the table room with Spencer at her side. "No, not yet."

As they walked, Erwyna couldn't help but have her gaze linger on Spencer. He had lost most everybody he ever loved, whether that be figuratively or physically; his mom with her schizophrenia, his father abandoning him as a child, and Elle with her departure of only a single word in passing. If he lost Gideon, this boy would begin to break down from the inside out and Erwyna couldn't watch it happen.

The first few minutes in the table room were spent in silence, with JJ only making brief banter as they waited for the rest of the team. Only JJ, Spencer, and Erwyna were there so far, but Emily was never late. Emily was always on time. Where was she?