Seventeen, 𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞

"Spencer had become inclined to write [Erwyna] into his story, following it with a heart just to the right of each sentence

"Spencer had become inclined to write [Erwyna] into his story, following it with a heart just to the right of each sentence. As a matter of fact, he had dedicated the whole story to her."

"Can I call you dad?"

"[Spencer] brought light to [Erwyna] in a time where all she knew was darkness."

~~~

Hallows Eve was the precursor to a holiday Erwyna already didn't celebrate. While she would see many kids trick or treating and dressing up on Halloween, Erwyna never cared for that practice. She would always just lay in her room while she watched the kids pass by.

Her mother would hand out candy to any kids who rang their doorbell, but Erwyna never did. She never wanted to be a suspect in a Halloween killing, as brutal as that sounds. She had seen them from time to time even when she was a kid; her mother would have murder cases go to trial where the murderers had names; The Halloweener, The Defacer, and The Unmasker, just to name a few.

Rosemary never brought her work home, the work always brought her home.

That was a phrase Erwyna invented to share every Halloween. Her select group of friends all heard it and knew that her house would likely be off limits, and they never even tried to pelt her window with rocks or ding dong ditch her. Her friends would always just write her out of their Halloween plans, so she never got an opportunity to fully celebrate it.

But Spencer didn't write her out.

Spencer had become inclined to write her into his story, following it with a heart just to the right of each sentence. As a matter of fact, he had dedicated the whole story to her.

Erwyna wrote Spencer in, too. She kept many of the early pages hidden, but she let him see the last chapter. While he tried to pry the first few chapters open, he couldn't as they were held together by Erwyna's ancient tears.

The tears that she swore never to let out.

Lifting herself off the couch, Erwyna watched as a groggy Spencer walked out while rubbing his eyes with both hands before staring at her blankly and stating, "You're still here."

"Yes, I am."

"You said you'd be out by today."

Erwyna shook her head as she approached Spencer. "I know, but I just need-"

"You've been here for a week. How much longer will you be here?"

"I don't know yet, Spencer."