Chapter 2

I was shivering, it was ice cold down here. My stomach was growling and my head was starting to hurt from lack of food. We had been in the cells for days now and they hadn't bothered to feed us. I could hear children crying, it hurt my heart. Some of these people had been here longer than others. The whole time we where here, it was always dark and cold.

Just then I heard footsteps. The vampire that had my father killed marched in with other vampires.

"Round them all up and have them cleaned and dressed, feel free to hurt anyone who resists just don't kill them remember it would be a waste of money." He ordered

I balled my hands into fist. How could he talk about us like we where merchandise?

Vampires dragged us out of our cells I could feel the fear rolling of us. We where all so afraid of them. They lead us down a torch lit hallway into a huge room. It was a room filled with stalls. In the open area of the room was a group of elderly women with baskets of cloth and measuring tools.

"Pick a stall and wait for one them to come and measure your sizes than take a shower no longer than ten minutes , your clothes will be waiting for you in your stall when you come out," one of them commanded.

I stepped into a stall and closed the sliding door behind me. The whole stall was white but not clean, I could tell many people had been here. The stall was split in two by a curtain. One side held a chair and a mirror, while on the other side there was a shower. I sat in the chair and stared at my reflection in the mirror. It showed me a girl who's face was covered in grit and who's dark hair was matted with dirt. Her eyes were wide and full of fear. It seemed strange to me that my own reflection was foreign. I had only seen myself in reflections through spoons, my fathers metal, very rarely when my father took me to the river near the cottage, and through a small shard of a broken mirror.

I sighed wondering what was to become of me, I knew I had to stay alive for my father and mother who where both dead because of me.

I looked in the mirror again trying to find the strength to smile. The least I could do for them was make the best of this new life and try to be happy no matter what.

I started to wonder If I should just shower as two ladies came into my stall.

"Hello darling, I'm Wanda and this is Hilda we are here to measure you ." The taller one with the bun said with a kind smile.

"Um okay ," I mumbled .

I wondered if they where also slaves I could tell they where human because they didn't have the structure that all vampires had.

I smiled at them and stood so they could measure me properly. While the worked they asked me questions about myself.

"What's your name sweetie?" the shorter one Hilda asked

"Oh, its Xylia (Zy-lee-uh). How rude of me to forget to introduce myself it's just that I've never really had much of any contact with anyone other than my father . "

I did't know how to act or respond to them I always seen people yes, but never had a conversation with someone who wasn't my father. I had seen the different ways and personality of all these people.

The vampire in charge for instance was cruel and found pleasure in people's pain. These women in front of me where kind. I decided that in world full of cruelty I didn't want to bring any more negativity into it. I would be as kind as I could be in honor of my father who died with a smile on his face.

"Needn't you worry child , and Xylia ... hmm I like it." Wanda replied with a smile .

"Thank you." I whispered.