twenty-five (part 2)

[part 2 of the chaos🩷]

❁❁❁

No matter how far away I run from the drama and the negativity, it always finds me. It's like a boomerang. I throw it far away, and it returns to me. Summer said in her mind while looking around the room.

The ringing of her cell phone brought her back to reality. She looked down and realized Trinity was Facetiming her. Hesitantly, Summer sighed before answering the phone. She adjusted the camera, allowing it to show her face. Trinity was shown as she moved around. The loud noise caught her off-guard. She assumed her friend was partying. This was the norm for Trinity. She grew up around the partying lifestyle.

Trinity didn't say anything immediately. She just eyed Summer with her nose wrinkled.

"What?" Summer questioned her in curiosity. She fluffed her hair, hoping her friend couldn't see her bruise.

"It takes a bitch a long time to call me. I don't like that." Trinity pushed out. "What could you possibly be doing in that dorm of your—bitch, you're not in your dorm." Her eyes grew low in suspense. "Where are you?"

Summer cocked her head to the side. She pushed out, "It's such a long story."

"I got time." Trinity blurted. "Talk to me while I slurp down this drink." She held up the fruity alcoholic beverage that her mother concocted.

"Go somewhere quiet. I don't want to yell my business out." Summer coached her as she looked into the camera, trying to see who was around.

"Look, ma. It's Summer."

"Hey, Summer." Trinity's mom, Shonda, greeted her softly. She looked okay with her micro braids. Shonda wasn't the cutest, but Summer wouldn't say that out loud. She had a good heart, and she was a generous lady.

"Hey, Shonda. How are you?"

"I'm fine," Shonda answered with a smirk. "I'm trying to figure out why you didn't come with Trinity to the house. You know you're welcome here."

Summer shook her head without saying anything. When Shonda wasn't working, she partied a lot and listened to her radio all day, playing it from the moment she woke up until she went to bed at night. Summer was accustomed to quietness. There was no way she could survive staying there.

"I didn't want to come to Jersey, at all..." Summer trailed off. "My dorm is peaceful."

Trinity pursed her lips at her friend, but she said nothing.

"If you want me to, I can get Trenton to come out there and pick you up. You can sleep in Trinity's bed."

Trenton was one of Shonda's four kids. He was around twenty-five and still lived at home with his mom. Trenton did not take the college route. However, he was a professional truck driver. It was very seldom he was home.

"Um...no thank you." Summer shook her head lightly. She knew who Trenton was; he treated her like a little sister. She didn't feel awkward around him at all. However, she didn't want him to pick her up. "I'll just stay where I'm at. Maybe I can come out there around Christmas."

"Alright!" Shonda shouted over the music. She nodded and added, "Trinity wants her phone back. I'll talk to you later."

Summer only nodded and patiently waited for her friend to leave the loud area. Trinity climbed the stairs and immediately went inside her room. She closed the door and said, "What's tea?"

"Girl..." Summer trailed off, afraid to tell her friend. "Rashad put his hands on me."

"WHAT?"

"Shh..." Summer hushed her. "Calm down, and let me talk."