twenty-six

[i took a break. but i'm back. 🐢]

Silence invaded the room as everyone looked around in bewilderment. No one was expecting Annika to show up at the gathering. Usually, she didn't come due to her dislike for the food they prepared. Also, her personality didn't agree with most of Grant's family members. Annika was very outspoken, and she couldn't read the room. To prevent herself from humiliation, she decided to stay away.

Grant's exterior showed a calm appearance, as if he didn't care about his girlfriend standing before him inside the living room area. However, something inside disturbed him. He wasn't expecting to see Annika. She made it a mission not to visit his family during the holidays. Instead, she would phone Diane and express gratitude that way.

"What's this?" Annika used her manicured nails to point at Grant and Summer several times before stepping inside the room.

Diane wasn't in the mood for any more drama. After being exposed for dating Dominick after her sister, she wanted peace. Unfortunately, Grant and his triangle of love weren't having it.

"What are you doing here?" Grant questioned his woman.

"No." Annika shot Grant a look. "You need to answer my question first." Her remark was quick and witty. She focused on Summer before spewing, "What is she doing here?"

A cold shiver brushed against Summer as she stiffened from the tense aura. She could tell Annika wasn't happy with seeing her there. The clenched jaw, fiery eyes, and flared nostrils informed her.

Silence filled the room. A few people crept inside to witness the altercation. Big Mama was the last person to walk inside. When she laid eyes on Annika, she wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"I'm waiting." Annika rushed Grant while folding her arms. She tapped her heeled boot against the scrubbed floors with an impatient stance.

"I had an issue with my—"

"No one...is talking...to you," Annika interjected Summer rudely as she spoke every word with emphasis. She eyed her with so much hatred and disgust. "I'm talking to my boyfriend. My boyfriendnot you."

Diane's eyes widened at Annika's response. She was slightly confused because she assumed Annika knew about Grant being friends with Summer. Diane wasn't expecting her to react in such a negative way.

I tried to warn him. Dominick said to himself as he shook his head. He knew this specific situation would soon happen, but he didn't expect it to come this soon.

Summer bit her tongue. She wanted to defend herself but decided to stand down. She didn't want to act disorderly in front of Grant's family. Part of her also felt a tinge of guilt. Summer had no business hanging with Grant and announcing herself as a friend to his family. Annika knew nothing about their relationship—that alone complicated things and made Grant and Summer's situation look phony and weird.

Grant could feel the uneasiness steaming from Summer. He glanced at her and caught her rolling her eyes. Suddenly, he sighed before setting the ice pack on the cracked coffee table.

"Let's go in the den and talk." Grant suggested as he stood tall, towering over everyone in the room—except his father. He neared Annika, inspecting the pout she wore.

"Hm..." Annika scoffed as she folded her arms. She placed her grey eyes on him and immediately said, "Why do I have to talk to you in a different room? We can talk here."

"Come on." Grant urged her while walking ahead. He reached out and grabbed her hand, but Annika jerked away, causing him to furrow his brows.

"Don't touch me." Annika ordered him sternly. "Just lead the way."