𝟦𝟦 | 𝖨'𝗅𝗅 𝖡𝖾 𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖱𝖺𝗂𝗇𝖻𝗈𝗐𝗌

❝𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚐𝚘 𝚘𝚗

❝𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚐𝚘 𝚘𝚗.❞

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Can you pass me the white paint, ma chérie?" Grand-père questions

"Can you pass me the white paint, ma chérie?" Grand-père questions. "I seem to have made my red a little too red."

"You haven't told me what you're painting yet," I mention as I hand him the cup of white paint.

"It's a rainbow." He lifts the square canvas with shaky hands and turns it toward me. "A little dedication to our favorite movie, huh?"

The Wizard of Oz.

I smile. "We should watch it tonight."

"We already did last night."

"So?" I ask. "What's wrong with watching it every night?" Truth is, I ask to watch the movie every night because I'm terrified that the one night we don't is when he passes.

Grand-père shrugs. "I assumed you would've gotten tired of watching the same movie over and over again."

"Never." I dip my paintbrush into a light pink and blend it in with the orange. I'm painting a sunset with clouds. "It's our movie, Grand-père. We've watched it every weekend for as long as I can remember."

It was actually the movie my grand-père put on when he welcomed me into his home permanently. I'd never watched it until that night. I was crying for my dad because he left me alone. My grand-père brought me to his living room, gave me a box of Oreos, and put the Wizard of Oz on.

He held me the entire time we watched the movie.

I remember falling asleep in his arms.

"Grand-père?"

"Oui, ma chérie?"

"Can we watch the movie the same way we did the night I came to live with you?"

"Of course we can," Grand-père responds, setting his canvas on the nightstand, and handing me his paintbrush. "You and I need to talk about what's to come soon."