Ballroom Dancing

A/N: Thank you angel_bvnny for requesting this! I hope you enjoy! It also gives me an excuse to use the dress in the image above for Queen!

I let out a sigh as I was getting my make up ready. Prom. Of course all my friends had dates and they were going as a big group. Not one of them even asked me if I wanted to join them. Some friends they were. It didn't matter. I remember the story my mom told me of her going by herself and meeting my father there. If only my life was like a fairy tale like theirs. As I was putting on the finishing touches, my mother walked into the bathroom after knocking.

"What's up, mom?" I asked.

"I wanted to give you this," she handed me a mask.

It was pretty on theme since the prom theme for this one was masquerade. Last year's prom was a barn like theme. Thankfully I didn't go and the photos were awful from what my friends showed me. How could you do that? It just doesn't seem right to do a barn and prom theme. Now if they want to do something cool, they could do a fantasy themed prom. The men having their suits resemble a knight in shining armor's while the women can have long, poofy dresses that had long tails in the back. It would be so much better than this masquerade theme.

"Isn't this yours when you went to that masquerade ball with dad?" I asked.

"Yes. And it matches your dress perfectly."

The mask was a deep blue, almost navy, but it was still lighter. There was black lace lining the rim of the mask and the eye holes. On both sides of the mask were peacock feathers and there was one large one in the middle, the end of the feather held in place by an assortment of jewels to make a pattern.

"Thanks, mom," I said, finishing up the make up.

"You look stunning, Y/N," my mother said.

"Couldn't land me a date."

"I'm sure you might find someone tonight."

"I don't think I will," I shook my head.

"You never know," she walked off, closing the door.

Once I had finished up, I grabbed the mask and walked out of the bathroom, heading downstairs to where my mother and father were. I took some photos in front of the mantle and the door before heading to my father's car. As we were driving through the neighborhood, there were other kids from my school that were taking photos outside with their dates or their friends. I even drove past my friend's house where they were having a small party before going to prom. I grumbled and flipped them off, even though they weren't outside. My father laughed and flipped them off with me.

"Thanks, dad," I said, smiling slightly.

"I've always got your back, kiddo. Besides, they're not good to you. They don't deserve you."

"Learned that the hard way," I let out a sigh.

"I know it's hard," he said. "Your mother and I struggled to make friends and maintain them."

"It's just high school bullshit," I said.

"It is. It's as they say, best or worst years of your life."

"They're turning out to be the worst," I said.

"You're only a sophomore."

"And things aren't looking up."

"You never know about tonight, Y/N."

My father reached the venue for the prom and I stepped out of the car, mask in hand along with my phone.