ten | dates

Azzi scoffed as she massaged Paige's hair, having been talking about Ava and KK going on a date.

"Bitch is just getting passed around at this point," Azzi shook her head, looking at Paige's phone. KK had sent an image of she and Ava in a fancy mirror at a restaurant to a smaller groupchat that consisted of KK, Ice and Paige. Paige didn't say anything to Azzi's words, only because she's been in Ava's shoes before, too. Not with the specific storyline, but the whole 'lesbian that doesn't realize it yet' trope.

"She's new to this lifestyle," Paige defended her. "Every new lesbian is like this. Once it hits her that she's gay and she stops trying to convince herself otherwise, she'll chill out."

"No," Azzi said, "not every lesbian is like that. I have never felt a need to hoe around." Paige sat up immediately, mouth wide open as she slowly turned to face Azzi. Azzi looked away, jokingly scratching her neck as she realized she just officially came out. Granted, Paige obviously knew that Azzi liked women, seeing as they've hooked up many times, but she never knew if Azzi was something in the middle of white and black.

"Aw!" Paige threw herself on Azzi, hugging her. She felt an overwhelming sense of joy, this felt like a fresh start of some sort. "Are you gonna tell anybody else or no?" Paige asked. Azzi shook her head.

"It's not that ashamed of who I am or anything," Azzi insisted, "but, the media can be a harrowing place. They're relentless and annoying and act like being a lesbian makes you different. I want to be known for my basketball career, not my sexuality. And I'm not really ready to be the poster girl for the gays."

Paige felt this indescribable closeness to Azzi, hearing her share a feel an insecurity that she too could relate to. One that most closeted lesbians in the industry would never admit. She stared at the little beauty mark on the bottom of Azzi's right chin, soon enough caressing it. She felt bad for the mini hell that she dragged Azzi through, now that she thought about it. I mean, this girl has been down for Paige since they met, seven years ago. The fact that Paige was still sitting here and giving Azzi the run around was insane.

And I guess in a way, Paige should be thanking Ava. Though she stressed out the basketball team, she also helped Paige get a taste of nearly losing the one you love. Paige also came to a conclusion that when it came to the matter of love, she had to make her own choices. Everybody has different beliefs, attitudes, and values, so asking another people, who might value duty over love, about love, is bound to leave you confused. That's something that only you can figure out for yourself.

Paige debated in her head. Did she want to just pop the question to Azzi right now? Or should she put together a cute little shabang in front of the whole team? She doubted that KK would tell Ava again, given that Paige cursed her ass out from coast to coast the other day. But also, maybe Ava knowing was a good thing—so that she could see that this whole thing needed to seriously end. Well, Ava is on a date with KK, so maybe it did end.

"Can we..." Azzi breathed out, trying to take liberty in the choice of coming out to Paige. She stopped, frozen, though she was unsure why. But Azzi had always been a mysterious person, she always hated people knowing about her. Maybe it wasn't entirely about the fallout that comes from lesbian stigmatization but rather, the uncomfortable reality of somebody knowing a little more about you.

"Wassup?" Paige stared into Azzi's eyes. Her pupils dilated as she did so, oh how Azzi missed seeing that. She tensed up again, no longer able to stare back at Paige. She took a deep breath, eyes closed.

"Okay, one," she stuck out her left index finger, "don't look at me like that." Paige smiled, subtly licking her bottom lip at Azzi's request.

"Two," Azzi exhaled, "I wanted to know if we could lay down, skin to skin. Not sex, none of the extra stuff. Just enjoying each other's body heat and bareness, like how we always used to." It occurred to both Azzi and Paige that there was some kind of spark lost over the months, that neither had realized left. Again, that may have been from them being teammates at such a high profile school. Injuries and NIL deals kept the two apart often, having to see special doctors across the country and make random guest appearances. Then there was figuring out how to maintain a tight bond without the media catching on, and without excluding the team. Mentalities shifted at some point during it all, which lead to Paige straying and Azzi losing care.

In a turn of events, Paige considered reaching out to Ava to ask for her help in asking out Azzi. I know I know, that was dumb. But, Ava was very good at arts and crafts, Paige has learned. And the more Paige thought about it, the more her mind convinced her that telling Ava was a good idea. I mean, she hasn't hooked up with Paige recently or brought it up. Yes she locked Azzi in an elevator but Paige hadn't yet asked Ava why she did that, maybe Ava had a different reason.

Anyway, while Paige and Azzi were falling deeper in love, Ava was experiencing the joys of her first wlw date. KK was very polite, holding almost every door that they came around for her. They accidentally matched after KK told Ava to dress nice, both wearing black. Ava wore a black sleeveless dress while KK wore a black tux. Ava linked her right hand onto KK's left, as KK believed Ava should walk on the in side of the sidewalk.

But at the same time, Ava was something similar to Paige in terms of liking the thrill. KK very obviously was a low-key girl, which Ava was apprehensive about. She imagined that KK would keep her relatively private and that their relationship would be easygoing with no drama. Maybe that was what truly intrigued Ava about Paige and Azzi-interrupting whatever it was that they had going on meant inevitable problems and adventures.

For now, though, Ava imagined that Paige had a bone to pick with her and Azzi wanted to rip her head off. So I guess, until the steam simmers, Azzi and Paige's budding relationship was Ava-free.