twenty-three | moment

Paige had managed to encourage Azzi to dress up well for the pre-game fit, convincing her that this may be her one and only national championship game appearance. Paige then suggested to Azzi that they walk through the tunnel together, to which Azzi easily obliged. Paige saw this moment more like a couple's engagement photos, knowing that in three hours, when the game was done, the world would finally know she and Azzi's truth. Everything they'd been through, everything they've worked past together, it would finally make sense.

Azzi had the front half of her hair cornrowed, the back half out and in curls. For the game, she would just tie the back half into a low bun. Paige had her hair crimped, wearing a light pink pant suit with matching loafers. Azzi decided to kind of match with Paige, choosing a white off the shoulder body con dress that stopped at her knees. Azzi hated heals so she stuck with white flats.

"Oh my gosh!" Ava grinned when she and KK met up with Azzi and Paige for pre-game prayer. Ava was similar to Kayla now. Kayla was another non-member of the huskies but went with them damn near everywhere and was included in many activities. The huskies understood Ava as KK's girlfriend and though she may have gave some people *cough cough, Azzi* hell, she's shown that she has grown a ton since then and actually isn't that bad. "You guys look so pretty," Ava insisted, also matching with her girlfriend, but Ava wouldn't be going through the tunnel so that didn't matter.

"You guys should take a pre-game pic," KK suggested, just wanting to add to the conversation. Ava nodded, "I'll take them, if you want?"

"Okay," Azzi agreed, speaking in a sultry tone as she looked Paige in the eyes, awaiting agreement. "Yeah," Paige whispered, staring at Azzi's lips as she did so. Paige had been standing right behind Azzi, who was an inch shorter than she. Ava discretely flashed an image of this moment, Paige's hand on Azzi's hips and her eyes glued to Azzi's lips. It's a surprise that they didn't kiss right there, but after all, they were still in a hotel with other people. A public kids like this at a moment like now could throw Azzi off guard, as she already knew the drill with Paige to be 'never show direct or intense affection in public'.

The minutes came and passed and before the team knew it, they were all saying their goodbyes to parents, siblings and partners so that they could make their way to the arena to play in the 2025 Women's College Basketball National Championship game. Cameras followed as each girl made their way through the tunnel, Azzi and Paige adamant on being side by side no matter what. The two stopped for a moment, Paige wrapping her arm around Azzi and Azzi throwing up two peace signs with a smile.

For Paige, the player intros and national anthem went by in the snap of the finger. Though her best efforts wouldn't make the game go by any faster, she did have a plan that she'd be damned if ruined. Right away, Paige made that very, very clear.

"Bueckers for three!" The stadium erupted, just thirty seconds into the game. Like the previous game, Paige and Azzi would be switching every five minutes. That was the downside of playing the same exact position. Their body measurements were nearly identical; Paige was just an inch taller and Azzi was about fifteen pounds heavier—all muscle.

"Watkins shoots back!" The announcer exclaimed. USC's Juju Watkins was the face of their organization. Last year, Juju and Paige practically faced off in a do or die. While both women put on a performance for the ages, USC fell short. This year, Juju was on a mission. Little did she know, however, that Paige was, too. Thus started the back and forth.

By the half, UConn was up only ten; a good start, but not enough to say this game was in the bag. "Here's the game plan," Geno wrote on the whiteboard once all the women were in the locker room, "Paige, I'm gonna play Azzi this whole third quarter and sees how JuJu is defensively against her." Geno concluded this because he'd noticed that Azzi was able to pick JuJu's pocket once early on, and blocked three of her shots. Azzi was playing man-to-man on JuJu whereas Paige was playing zone. As competitive as Paige was, however, she didn't mind it for once. Today, in Paige's mind, was all about Azzi.