eighteen | creighton

It was a time to be alive in Storrs, Connecticut. The UConn Huskies were looking to clutch a NCAA tournament spot by securing the Big East champion title against Creighton. While the Huskies had the most supportive fans in the world, reality was starting to set it. It was 64-80, Creighton lead, at the end of the third quarter; and it was do or die.

"Timeout" the announcer called through the intercom within the arena, "Huskies."

"What the fuck are y'all doing?!" Geno freaked, looking around the circle. "Azzi's scared to shoot, Paige's pocket keeps getting picked, Sarah's drawing unnecessary charges, Kaitlyn can't get open shots! Who are you people?! These are not the women I saw in practice the other day! Or the women that I've been seeing all season long." The huskies were on their way to having a perfect season.

"I don't know what to tell you guys," Geno stressed. "Paige Bueckers you have been here since a freshman. You saw how every single season, something got in your way. This time you are healthy, and team you are with now has the most potential that any UConn team you've ever played amongst has." Geno looked at Paige, not daring to bat an eye or look away. "There were legitimate excuses every other year," Geno went on, still looking at his star player, "I'll give you that. But if you lose tonight, Bueckers, you have nobody to blame but yourself." Damn, that was kind of cold. But, Paige thrived off of cold remarks like that.

"Azzi," Geno looked over at his best shooter, "there is no reason why you should not be chucking that ball up every time you have it. You are easily the best scorer in women's college basketball right now." He sighed, "this is Paige's last year with you, you guys have been best friends for years. I know how much this moment, and later on, winning a national title will mean to you." Well, safe to say that Geno wasn't in the loop, but that's beside the point.

"Sarah," Geno turned toward his freshman, "play zone. There is no need to play body-to-body on somebody who isn't posing as a scoring threat to us."

"As for you Kaitlyn," Geno rushed to get out, as he only had some seconds left. "Just get open. Move around, maneuver in between people. Jana or Kaitlyn will provide you the pick when needed."

"Huskies on three!" He demanded as the entire team, including the benched and injured players, put their hands in. "One...Two...Three..."

"Huskies!"

Paige needed to find that want within herself. It was the last ten minutes of the game and if she did not do her due diligence, then it would be her last ten minutes of college basketball.

The arena was deathly silent as the five girls—Paige, Azzi, Jana, Sarah and Kaitlyn—made their way back on the court. KK was in foul trouble, so Geno was considering playing her halfway through the quarter.

Though Paige voice it with her teammates, she had a plan. Creighton hadn't seen much of Azzi, because Azzi hadn't made many shot attempts in the game today. And having worked out with Azzi many times throughout their careers, Paige knew that the wings, high post, and top of the key were Azzi's sweet spots.

"Every time I get the ball, go to the wing," Paige quickly said in passing as she walked past Azzi. She turned around to see if Azzi heard her, to which Azzi gave her a thumbs up—indicating that she did.

Creighton was inbounding, as the in-bounder was passing the ball in, Kaitlyn stole it and passed it to Paige, who went up for a successful layup, outrunning two Creighton players. Though there wasn't a firm game plan discussed amongst the girls, there was a common understanding that they absolutely needed to come back.

Kaitlyn, Paige, Sarah and Jana pressed the Creighton player who had the ball, making her fumble it and dribble out of bounds. Paige then ran to the inbound line, yelling out Azzi's name. While the Creighton players paid more mind to Paige and Kaitlyn, Azzi was completely open on the wing, which was just outside of the three-point line.